Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Unexpectedly Turns Off

Is anyone else's MacBook Pro turning off unexpectedly? For the past week or so, mine unexpectedly shuts down and when I press the power button it shows the battery sign, but when the computer is back on, it has ~70% battery life left.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 13, 2022 5:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2022 7:25 PM

If your Mac sleeps or wakes unexpectedly - Apple Support suggests some actions equally applicable to a Mac that shuts down unexpectedly, but the most relevant one is this:

• Reset the SMC: Resetting the system management controller (SMC) can resolve certain issues related to power. If you have a Mac with Apple silicon, just restart your computer. For other Mac computers, see the Apple Support article How to reset the SMC of your Mac.
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2022 7:25 PM in response to boomkizzle

If your Mac sleeps or wakes unexpectedly - Apple Support suggests some actions equally applicable to a Mac that shuts down unexpectedly, but the most relevant one is this:

• Reset the SMC: Resetting the system management controller (SMC) can resolve certain issues related to power. If you have a Mac with Apple silicon, just restart your computer. For other Mac computers, see the Apple Support article How to reset the SMC of your Mac.

Sep 14, 2022 12:06 PM in response to boomkizzle

I suspect something is amiss with the battery because the Mac is showing a battery icon when you turn it on again.

That, and the 70% remaining capacity is not good. Battery life doesn't diminish in a linear fashion, it gradually decreases over a period of years, and eventually plummets. Resetting the SMC should have restored some accuracy to the maximum charge capacity, but that cure might not last for long.

In any event Apple can evaluate the need for replacement at no cost.

MacBook Pro Unexpectedly Turns Off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.