Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes 12.8.3.1

My old MacBook running iTunes 12.8.3.1 won't recognise my iPhone 11 PRO running IOS16. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 14, 2022 3:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2022 6:54 AM

From iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus - Technical Specifications - Apple:

Syncing to a Mac or PC requires:

• macOS Catalina 10.15 or later using the Finder
  • macOS El Capitan 10.11.6 to macOS Mojave 10.14.6 using iTunes 12.8 or later
  • Windows 7 or later using iTunes 12.10.10 or later

Which suggests iOS 16 should be supported on El Capitan upwards.

In Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

If these steps haven't worked you can also try reinstalling iTunes12.8.2.3.dmg (El Capitan/Sierra) or iTunes12.8.3.1 (High Sierra) while your device is connected and unlocked.

tt2

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2022 6:54 AM in response to tonygas

From iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus - Technical Specifications - Apple:

Syncing to a Mac or PC requires:

• macOS Catalina 10.15 or later using the Finder
  • macOS El Capitan 10.11.6 to macOS Mojave 10.14.6 using iTunes 12.8 or later
  • Windows 7 or later using iTunes 12.10.10 or later

Which suggests iOS 16 should be supported on El Capitan upwards.

In Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

If these steps haven't worked you can also try reinstalling iTunes12.8.2.3.dmg (El Capitan/Sierra) or iTunes12.8.3.1 (High Sierra) while your device is connected and unlocked.

tt2

Sep 22, 2022 10:52 PM in response to tonygas

Looks like you already got it worked out. I’m running High Sierra, iTunes 12.8.3.1, on my 2010 MacBook Pro. I updated my iPhone 8 Plus two days ago to iOS 16. When I plugged the phone into the computer, iTunes immediately said that it needs to download some software to work with iOS 16. I did that and then iTunes communicated with the phone with no problem. I was surprised but happy that it’s still being supported. I didn’t need to use MobileDeviceUpdater or anything else.

itunes 12.8.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.