Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos 7 updating Library

Photos 7 is stuck on updating library. My Mac is running Monterey 12.5.1. In Photos preferences>Icloud I have Icloud photos checked along with optimize mac storage.

It has been running for almost a week now. I have tried repair, I have no antivirus running, tried restarting, turned off any power save, tried restarting the library. The size of my icloud photos is 13.4Gb. Any help is appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13″, 12.5

Posted on Sep 14, 2022 4:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2022 6:07 AM

Are you opening the new library?

What do you see if you option-start photos? Are both the original and new library listed? Is the new library shown as the system library?

If you are definitely opening the new library (check from the option start pane) then I'd suggest first a restart in safe mode, then trying, followed by creating a new user account, and see if the same thing happens when logged into that account.

Start up your Mac in safe mode – Apple Support (UK)

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2022 6:07 AM in response to jf3nton

Are you opening the new library?

What do you see if you option-start photos? Are both the original and new library listed? Is the new library shown as the system library?

If you are definitely opening the new library (check from the option start pane) then I'd suggest first a restart in safe mode, then trying, followed by creating a new user account, and see if the same thing happens when logged into that account.

Start up your Mac in safe mode – Apple Support (UK)

Sep 18, 2022 2:13 PM in response to jf3nton

Hi jf3nton,

For help with ensuring your iCloud Photo library is updated, test the steps below for updating the macOS software found in the article here: Update macOS on Mac

"Use Software Update to install updates and upgrades for macOS and its built-in apps, including Safari.

1. Before continuing, it's a good idea to back up your Mac.
  2. From the Apple menu  in the corner of your screen, choose System Preferences.
  3. Click Software Update in the System Preferences window. Can't find Software Update?
  4. Software Update now checks for new software.
    • If Software Update finds new software, click Update Now or Upgrade Now to install. You might be asked to restart or enter an administrator password.
    • If Software Update says that your Mac is up to date, then no new software is currently available for your Mac model.

Software Update preferences"

If the issue continues after updating the macOS software, view and test the steps here: Check the status of your library in Photos for macOS - Apple Support

You can also double check you have enough iCloud storage for the upload. Manage your iCloud storage and find helpful steps here: Get help with iCloud Photos

Best.

Sep 18, 2022 11:54 PM in response to jf3nton

Hi

It shouldn't take that long for a 13Gb library - this is on your internal drive I guess?

If ALL your photos are in iCloud, you may be better off syncing iCloud with a new empty library, like this:

1 - Create a new EMPTY library in your pictures folder. (Hold down the option key while starting photos, and click "create new". Name it something that is easy to recognise). If you don't have enough space on your mac to download the full iCloud library with plenty of headroom, then you'll need to put the new library on an external drive (formatted APFS or MacOS extended)**

2 - Open the new empty library in photos. (it should open after you click "create new" but if not, use the option key start again, and select the new library from the list.)

3 - In photos preferences set it to the system library (click the circled button)

4 - In photos preferences iCloud - turn iCloud on with download originals.

5 - Wait - for photos to download all your images from iCloud into your freshly minted library. It may take some time - possibly days (not so for a small library such as yours - my 50Gb library took 48 hours). Leave the mac on with photos open and sleep disabled while it is doing it.

Photos 7 updating Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.