Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX Re-Rendering every time I open

Every time I open an existing library, the entire project re-renders. I've tried to turn off background rendering, but then performance is so choppy I can't process.

FCPX 10.6.2

Macbook 16" 2021

Apple M1 Pro

Mac OS Monterey v12.4

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 14, 2022 10:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2022 9:36 PM

From what you are describing I think it would be wise to backup any important stuff to another drive.

Could be the first sign of a some type of failure sneaking in. 🙁​

Using SSD drives is a great idea.

I personally prefer to have smaller drives than huge ones to cover for the "all your eggs in one basket" catastrophe.

They reckon only a few things in life are sure: death, taxes and your device will fail. 😎​

Are you really an Aussie?

I am Aussie from the Brisbane area. 👍

Al

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2022 9:36 PM in response to JeffAussie1966

From what you are describing I think it would be wise to backup any important stuff to another drive.

Could be the first sign of a some type of failure sneaking in. 🙁​

Using SSD drives is a great idea.

I personally prefer to have smaller drives than huge ones to cover for the "all your eggs in one basket" catastrophe.

They reckon only a few things in life are sure: death, taxes and your device will fail. 😎​

Are you really an Aussie?

I am Aussie from the Brisbane area. 👍

Al

Sep 14, 2022 11:37 PM in response to Matti Haveri

Thanks, Matti for the quick reply.

The library & project is on an external WD 5TB drive w/ 2.59TB available (Mac OS Ext Journaled).

Every project on that disk is giving me the same problem. And it began when the disk had nearly filled up. I deleted about 8 projects to get back to the current space available. I have opened libraries on my other 5TB WD drive (same configuration) and that seems to be fine. Also, MOV and MV4 files all run fine on the disk that is giving me the problem.

Sep 15, 2022 12:44 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply. The libraries are already created, the projects completed. The files are copied to libraries, with no optimized media or proxy files ticked upon import. Is it too late to change the files to proxy? Or do you mean for new projects only?

I've tried trashing the preferences as Matti suggested. One file didn't seem to need re-rendering, but that may have been because I'd just fully re-rendered the save prior. When I try to share the file, it fails every time.

Sep 15, 2022 12:56 AM in response to JeffAussie1966

You can create proxies at any time, and for just the media you choose.

From the little menu at the top right of the viewer, choose Proxy Preferred.

To make proxies, select the clips you want in the browser, control-click, Transcode media
 and check the proxy box.

In this case, it seems that the drive is the limiting factor. If you don’t need access to all that media at once, consider getting yourself an external 1TB SSD, and use that for editing, then copy stuff off to the hard drive for archiving. No more slowness.

Sep 15, 2022 6:49 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks to all for the suggestion to use proxies. I'm concerned that's a workaround to a problem unidentified. The files were all working perfectly for the last six months, then suddenly (within a day) became almost unmanageable. If I re-render (which takes much longer than it should), I can share the file to my main hard drive, but if I try to save it to the external drive, the share crawls then fails within minutes. Again, MP4 and MOV files all work fine on that external drive, and it shows over 50% capacity free. I've emptied the trash, re-booted. I can get everything off that drive, then re-format, and load them back on, but that would be hours of work. I'm thinking there must be some bug or something I can address?

Sep 15, 2022 8:29 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks, Tom. Yes, without rendering, it is too choppy to process. There are no effects except basic lower third titles that should require intense rendering. Again, wondering why the problem is occurring in the first place. I don't have it when editing other projects on another external drive with the exact same specs and configuration. Something must be corrupted, but only on the projects on that drive?

FCPX Re-Rendering every time I open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.