Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad battery drain

IPad Pro, 11 inch 3rd generation. Item is 3 months old. Primary use is aviation. Garmin Pilot is the only app running (that I know of). I start a flight out with 100% battery. The iPad is ALWAYS connected to Strata, a hi amp aviation approved power supply. On some flights, 3 hours +, I may go down to 90% even with the charge symbol on the whole time. Next flight, I'm losing 25% every 45 minutes, charinging on all the time. My iPad pro, 10.5 inch, about 4 years old, exhibits none of these issues, and on the same charging system will maintain 100% full battery, or if it's under 100% will charge to 100%. Screen is always on, and typically in daytime , full bright, both systems. I "upgraded" as 64gb was getting marginal with the increase aviation data. The new one has 512 gb.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Sep 16, 2022 9:23 PM

7 replies

Sep 17, 2022 9:15 AM in response to Sedonamike

The best advice that I can offer is to install a USB PD-compliant charging circuit - as this will ensure that maximum power (20W) is available to your iPad.

As previously described, regardless of the maximum power output of your existing charging solution, a “standard” USB 5V charging solution will be limited by the iPad to 12W.

Also consider using a modern vehicular USB-C power adapter designed for 12-28V DC. Apple market several suitable chargers manufactured by mophie. Here is one example:

• mophie Dual USB-C 40W PD Car Charger

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/HQ462ZM/A

Alternatively, perhaps you can find a charging solution that complies with IEC/UL 60950-1 and IEC/UL 62368-1 standards; these power sources are rated to provide 115VAC at 400Hz (as typically found onboard commercial aircraft) - and are fully usable with the standard iPad USB-C Power Adapter.

Sep 17, 2022 9:33 AM in response to LotusPilot

40w st 28vdc is only 1.4 amps. And the cigarette lighter has been removed. The stratus is 3 amps at 28v.

Choose Stratus Power Pro- a dual 3.0A USB-A and USB-C charging port that's FAA certified to TSO-C7. It's quick and easy to install with a blue LED lighted front. With a shielded, certified, Stratus Power charger you can be sure you will not experience NAV/COM interference as seen with cheap electronics.

Ypu can view at appareo.com

That's is what I installed.

I appreciate your feedback. Gives me some ideas to explore thanks.

Sep 16, 2022 10:37 PM in response to Skydiver119

I can't use the brick, except at home. Aircraft does not have 120vac. It has 28vdc. I use a Stratus aircraft approved power converter, installed in the console. USB to usb C cable. I don't have the issue with my old iPad. And the new iPad sometimes drains slow, and other times drains fast. Makes no sense unless there something in the background that causes it that I do not see.

Sep 17, 2022 4:24 AM in response to Sedonamike

Most models of iPad require a Power Adapter rated at 12W or greater to reliably charge. For large-screened iPad models, if charging while using the iPad, particularly at maximum screen brightness as will often be required in the cockpit, an external 12W supply may be insufficient to maintain the current state of charge, let alone simultaneously re-charge the iPad battery.

Be aware that many USB ports, in particular those of a computer, commonly cannot source sufficient power to charge an iPad. Unless explicitly designed for charging connected devices, USB ports are typically limited to 0.5-1A @5V (i.e., 2.5-5.0W).

Your iPad Pro was supplied with a USB PD (Power Delivery) Power Adapter. These Power Adapters can supply power, and charge, at higher rates than standard USB connections will support.

By design, when charging from a standard USB supply (5V), the iPad will limit power transfer via its USB-C (or Lightning) connector to 12W (i.e., 2.4A @5V); when using a USB PD compliant power source, iPad can increase its power transfer to 18-20W (typically 2.0A @9V or 1.5A @12V).

It is highly likely that your cockpit (Strata) USB power supply does not support USB PD - and will therefore be operating at the standard USB bus voltage (5V). As such, regardless of the power supply power capability, the iPad will be limited to drawing 2.4A via USB - this being insufficient to both operate the iPad at maximum screen brightness (with running Apps) and maintain the battery charge. Consequently, to provide sufficient power to its electronics, power load is being shared by both the external power source and the iPad battery - resulting in the noticeable depletion of the iPad battery over time.

In addition, iPads thermal management may be playing its part in limiting the iPad’s overall power dissipation. High screen brightness, coupled with running Apps, will generate heat - which must be adequately dissipated or managed. iPads thermal management may impact the ability to charge. Newer models of iPad, in particular iPad Pro with larger and brighter screens, make heavy demands upon available power dissipation - which in domestic or “regular” environments are rarely challenged. Exceeding bright environments create challenges rarely seen by many users.

As a pilot myself, I am acutely aware of the many limitations of operating an iPad in the cockpit of GA aircraft. I hope this insight offers some useful explanation of the likely cause of observed behaviour.

Sep 17, 2022 6:21 AM in response to Sedonamike

There could be. For example I noticed that my battery drained significantly with the new weather app - even with the app open in the background and background app refresh turned off.

you can look in settings, battery and get info on what’s using the battery. That’s may give you a clue as to what may be draining the battery. It could be an app open in the background.

Sep 17, 2022 8:59 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you Lotus Pilot. The original setup in the King Air was a cigarette lighter. Because it was a cigarette lighter the circuit breaker was 5 amp. For some time I had used adapters in that cigarette lighter but since it was on the center console they were getting in the way and really weren't approved for aircraft operation. So I covered it the cigarette lighter adapter and installed the stratus on the same circuit. My old iPad had no problem running at full brightness and still maintaining a 100% charge. Maybe over a 3-hour flight it may deplete to 96 or 95%, but that was about it. I do understand the heat issue with ipads. If the iPad would get too hot, the screen brightness would dim, and of course if you accidentally left it in the airplane it would go into total thermal shutdown. And you had to cool it off.

Based on where it's mounted it was susceptible to Sun coming in and hitting the back of it. And of course being in Arizona that caused a big problem. Even though the plane is temperature controlled, with air conditioning and of course at high altitudes the outside air coming in is quite cool, it could still be a problem.

So what I did was put a special piece of foam core behind the iPad on the vent window to prevent any sun from coming in and hitting it. I have also redirected the air conditioning overhead eye which always blows cold air even with the heat on to completely wash the I had during flight. The temperature of the iPad probably never gets over 70° at best, and is typically cooler than that. So it loves its environment. So the heat issue has been solved.

What does not make any sense is that the new iPad on occasion, and I'm going to say over half the time, will run at full brightness, and will only lose maybe 5% of the battery status over a 3-hour flight. That's totally acceptable. The problem is the next flight it may lose 25% of its power in 45 minutes, and the only way to slow it down if I have a long flight is to just turn the display off. There is weather that's running in the background, but it's not a weather app it's the standard Sirius XM data that's being fed from the 750 garmin.

It's one of those problems that doesn't Express consistency. I've been a pilot since 1986, and have had various pieces of electronics over the time as you can imagine. My background is electronics which makes this even more frustrating.

I don't mind using my old iPad but the issue is the amount of data it will hold. Has Garmin increases their capabilities, the data packs get larger and I push up against that 64 gigabit limit. The new iPad is 512 GB.

I have totally shut the iPad down a couple of times just in case there's something running in the background. I don't use it for anything else except for aviation, although there are the standard apps that come with the unit. I do have a couple other things that they must be opened up to be used. But it's very minor. I use my phone for 99% of everything I do when I travel, and at home I used PC based computers. My phone is an android, I've never been a fan of Apple products, but the iPad is a great piece of equipment for navigation.

I hate mysteries

Ipad battery drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.