Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lightning Digital AV Adapter issue after iOS 16 upgrade

I upgraded my iPhone SE to iOS 16 and noticed that my Lightning Digital AV Adapter is no longer functioning properly. It either displays a picture without sound or it gives me sound without picture. Went through all the possible checks but no luck. I've tried a total of 3 Lightning Digital AV Adapters and all behave the same.

Anyone else noticing this?

Please advise

Thanks

iPhone SE, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 18, 2022 4:49 PM

45 replies

Sep 19, 2022 12:35 PM in response to dieter38

I've had issues as well. iPhone 12 Pro Max. After updating to iOS16, HBO Max would not play through the Lightning Digital AV Adapter. I finally got it to do a firmware update and it worked fine. A couple days later I tried watching some content on Amazon Prime and it skips while playing through the adapter. Plays fine on the phone. I have not found any kind of solution.

Sep 25, 2022 12:55 PM in response to dieter38

After updating my iPhone 12 Pro Max to IOS 16, I no longer have sound with DIRECTV, Discovery+, and Peacock while streaming with my authentic Apple Lightning to Digital AV Adapter. It’s so frustrating and even more frustrating that apple isn’t acknowledging that this is a bug. I would restore my phone to my last backup before I updated, but I’ll lose wedding pictures and videos that I took after.

Oct 14, 2022 9:20 AM in response to C_Robbinhood

After a phone appointment with apple, they sent me to an apple certified Best Buy which was a complete waste of time. I took time off of work to drive there for absolutely nothing. The gentleman at Best Buy apologized that Apple scheduled me an appointment there for trouble with lightning digital AV adaptor since is obvious it’s not the adapter and that’s it the iOS update. There’s auto with Netflix and Pluto but not with Directv, peacock, or discovery+. Everything worked perfectly until I updated to IOS 16. I cancelled all three subscriptions since I can no longer use them due to this apple software malfunction.

Oct 15, 2022 8:13 PM in response to dieter38

My quite new Lightning Digital AV Adapter was working fine on my ten year old Samsung TV - until the most recent iOS update. I have reset and restored my iPhone 13 Pro and *still* have the same error. I agree that everything points to an issue with iOS 16.

I don't recommend following any suggestions to restore your phone unless you have a day to waste and feel like setting up all of your apps again. Apple, please fix this!

Nov 21, 2022 11:09 AM in response to dieter38

Try connecting the adapter's lightning port to power. I had the same issue, used to work then stopped. Found an article suggesting proper connector connection order is necessary (https://www.technewstoday.com/lightning-digital-av-adapter-not-working/, includes other troubleshooting tips) but the only thing that mattered for me was adding a power cable to the lightning port.

Nov 26, 2022 7:41 PM in response to weldon161

Is there one success story anywhere that tells us what to do or when it will be fixed? The internet is full of requests for assistance but I can’t see a viable response that offered a solution or workaround. I am remote w/o internet and only stream via cell data. Am I missing something? I know Apple TV isn’t going to work without wifi…I don’t understand how they can still sell the AV adapter when it is a known fail? Is that even legal?

Lightning Digital AV Adapter issue after iOS 16 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.