Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Flickering

I have had an Apple TV for awhile. I haven't consistently watched it. I have dish and YouTube and Netflix are available on dish lineup. Recently I had a problem with my Dish. I've always used it for ESPN+ but little else. I watched the ASU football game (3 1/2 hours) on ESPN+ with no flickering. I turned on YouTube last night and had constant on and off flickering. Also TedTalk, Netflix had no flickering. My OS is up to date. Any ideas? Is it something with YouTube or my Apple TV?

Posted on Sep 19, 2022 4:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2022 3:47 PM

I'm not sure why this problem has suddenly appeared with the YouTube app, but the "fix" is to go into "Settings - Video/Audio" and turn off "Match frame rate". YouTube ads are being served up at a different frame rate than the videos, causing the frame rate coming out of the AppleTV to constantly be changing. Your TV keeps trying to re-sync to the changing frame rate. By changing this setting the frame rate adjustment happens in the Apple TV, which seems to handle it smoothly, and outputs a constant frame rate to your TV.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2022 3:47 PM in response to RbirdNC

I'm not sure why this problem has suddenly appeared with the YouTube app, but the "fix" is to go into "Settings - Video/Audio" and turn off "Match frame rate". YouTube ads are being served up at a different frame rate than the videos, causing the frame rate coming out of the AppleTV to constantly be changing. Your TV keeps trying to re-sync to the changing frame rate. By changing this setting the frame rate adjustment happens in the Apple TV, which seems to handle it smoothly, and outputs a constant frame rate to your TV.

Apple TV Flickering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.