Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my email copy showing boxes with ? inside instead of type?

Why is my email copy showing boxes with ? inside instead of type? What do I need to do to fix this?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 19, 2022 5:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2022 12:38 PM

Start with this...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes or more.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

If that doesn\t fix it it's likely a bad font, Open Font Book & validate all fonts.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2022 12:38 PM in response to Advantage2

Start with this...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes or more.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

If that doesn\t fix it it's likely a bad font, Open Font Book & validate all fonts.

Why is my email copy showing boxes with ? inside instead of type?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.