Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error code: To update the software on your apple watch, you first need to update the software on your iPhone. My iPhone software is current.

I get the following error code when I go to update my Apple Watch Series 6: “To update the software on your Apple Watch, you first need to update the software on your iPhone.” My iPhone software is current and up-to-date. I tried powering both off and on, doing soft resets on both, unpairing and re-pairing my Apple Watch, all while both are charging and connected to the same wifi network, and nothing has worked to solve this error code. This has been an issue since the last iPhone update was installed on my iPhone.

Apple Watch Series 6

Posted on Sep 19, 2022 12:38 PM

3 replies

Sep 28, 2022 5:45 PM in response to Community User

So I found out that my iPhone isn’t capable of updating to the most current iOS bc it’s too old (iPhone 7) which is why my watch (Apple Watch 6) won’t update. I’m not ready to upgrade my phone at this time, so I’ll just live with my watch as is, since it still does all the things that are important to me at this time. Thank you for the help!

Error code: To update the software on your apple watch, you first need to update the software on your iPhone. My iPhone software is current.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.