Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Car play/Bluetooth

I just upgraded to the iPhone 14 pro max and ever since everyone complains they can barely hear me on CarPlay as if I’m whispering and on Bluetooth they say it’s louder but sounds like I’m in a wind tunnel and still difficult to hear. I am very disappointed as I had no trouble at all a few days ago on my iPhone 11 Pro Max. It’s obviously an issue with the new phone/iOS but what can I do about it? I already played around with all the settings/volumes I could find.

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 19, 2022 4:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2022 5:57 AM

I have the same issue. I've tried it in several friends cars, wired and wireless CarPlay, its always the same. I've tried resetting the phone, resetting the network settings, etc. Nothing is helping. Its as if they have the car microphone sensitivity setting turned down to about 50%.

85 replies

Sep 21, 2022 8:03 AM in response to Jlhorowitz36

Unfortunately this is occurring on 2022 and 2023 cars. My friend is a car detailer, we tried several, ALL exhibit this issue. Not being a software engineer, but being logical, it seems to me there is some kind of setting that sets a level for the car microphone volume level, and it seems to be set too low. Hopefully Apple will address this, but so far the iPhone 14 Pro Max experience has been anything but the usual excellent Apple experience. The phone is glitchy, the CarPlay is just one of several issues.

Sep 21, 2022 12:47 PM in response to Jlhorowitz36

Good evening everyone,

For my part, "sound" problem coming out when I give or receive a call with Apple CarPlay .... As if I were 5m from my iPhone 14 pro max on IOS 16.0.1. And no problem with my ex 13 pro max under 16.0.0. It is connected in an Audi A5 from May 2022. My interlocutor hears me very well when I'm on Bluetooth. I've tried almost all .... Hard reset of the phone, the MMI of the Audi, profile deleted (Audi-iPhone), restoration with backup and as new iPhone, change of the SIM card. I have no idea and Apple either. I think patch 16.0.1 is partly responsible

Sep 22, 2022 9:42 AM in response to Jlhorowitz36

I have the same problem in a new Grand Wagoneer. I replaced the phone thinking something was wrong with it. Same problem. The dealership thought it was the car (still in warranty) and just replaced the radio (I can't imagine what that cost), but the problem persists. I can't hear the person I'm calling over the car hands-free system, but they can hear me. I have to go to the iPhone speaker setting and enable the handset to talk and hear. Incredibly frustrating. Dangerous too.

Sep 25, 2022 10:46 AM in response to Jlhorowitz36

I am having the same problem (14 Pro Max). I thought maybe it was my truck (2017 F-250) or cable. I tested my phone in my wife’s GMC Denali and same issue with different cable. I reset/wiped the phone and still same issue. I then took my wife’s phone (13 Pro) and tried same cables in my truck and her suv and everything is fine. So it’s definitely something going on with the 14 models. I hope apple can fix this with an update.

Sep 26, 2022 5:16 AM in response to 0utlaw

iPHONE 14 Pro Max. It is impossible to talk (hardly heard in the interlocutor) using Carplay BMW M8 2021, Skoda SuperB 2018. I've spoken to Apple support and that's the whole story.

1) Contact last week, 3 days after buying the phone (IOS16.01):

Questions about forgetting the phone in settings, bluetooth settings. Phone reset, multimedia system reset. Entire procedures. Did not help.

2) Phone on Sunday from Apple Support (I did not ask for contact IOS 16.02).

Very nice technician.

She has installed a bluetooth profile on the phone.

She did live tests (I was in the car) and confirmed the problem.

She said the technicians are researching and we're waiting.

3)Contact today at my request with Apple support. After passing point 1 with the junior technician, the senior technician P. Marcin joined the conversation.

I said that unfortunately it is not possible to talk on this phone in the car.

I asked to replace the device with a functional one - impossible

Then I asked for a repair - impossible (to be repaired in a few weeks, I asked what to do in these few weeks, the technician does not know. In Poland, it is $ 300 fine and 12 penalty points if you talk hand-held.)

Technician's suggestion: the car is bad. I say the IP12 Pro worked flawlessly, Iphone SE 2020 is still working, Android is working). I say a lot of people with other car brands have this problem too: answer: maybe they are using the same chip. :) Everything bad: apple good.

My proposal, take this phone from me, I will buy 13 pro max: there is no such possibility.

Please return the phone to seller: not possible because MediaMarkt will not accept Apple while it is running.

My suggestion: exchange me for another copy, maybe it will work: the technician answered NO.

I have to wait a few weeks for them to fix. I cannot return to the Authorized Service because: ATTENTION !!! THE PHONE IS FUNCTIONAL !!! (I would still pay for the diagnosis:))

Conclusion:

Apple Support will teach you how to send a text message, but in case of problems, they wash their hands. A phone that costs $ 1,680 in Poland.

They even lack the goodwill to satisfy a customer who is loyal to their products.

Whether you are buying a new one or a used one (maybe even better because the first owner will tire of the service) makes no difference because Apple has no responsibility or goodwill towards its customers. World Championship.

Sep 27, 2022 11:31 PM in response to dawid231

The car is bad?Typical Apple answer, so you have to change your $200,000 car to get the Carplay works? I got the same problem with my iPhone 14 Pro Max in my car but my friends and family who got iPhones 13 and below do not have this issue in my car, also I tried my brother's car with my phone and still have the issue.

It's clearly a software issue!

Sep 28, 2022 4:02 AM in response to Ahmediaw

The radio was replaced in my Wagoneer to fix the issue. Still have the problem! Spent hours on the phone with Apple support - they concluded it was a software issue on the phone and that I’d have to wait. Was so disgusted, I went out and bought a Samsung android figuring that would solve the problem. Sadly, no. I give up. Is the car a lemon? But too many people are having this issue. Would be nice to have a definitive answer.

Sep 28, 2022 5:24 AM in response to dawid231

Thank you. That is what we both have. For some reason or other the 16.0.2 helped with my car which is a 2019 Mercedes. The Apple customer support has not lived up to the high reputation. I spent over an hour on the phone and just like above they tried to blame the car. We’re also having issues with battery life and apps quitting and being a little buggy. This is just not the same Apple experience for us.

Sep 28, 2022 8:56 PM in response to Jlhorowitz36

Driving 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS. Never had an issue with any of my previous iPhones and ADNROIDS (Galaxy S21 ULTRA), including iPhone 11 PRO MAX. I purchased iPhone 14 PRO MAX and now when I use Bluetooth people on the other side cannot hear me. They tell me the sound is muffled and that the volume of my voice is very low. I am 100% sure this has something to do with iOS 16 + new CarPlay + 14 PRO MAX (specifically).

Apple DO SOMETHING!

Apple Car play/Bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.