Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Folders stuck together on iMac Desktop

I was trying to move one folder into another and instead they got "stuck" together. One is about 1/4" above the other and I can read the names of both folders. But I cannot grab one or the other. They move together. When I double click on them they both open. But I can't separate them. How to I unstick them? I have an iMac with Big Sur 11.6.1

Posted on Sep 19, 2022 8:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2022 1:38 PM

Click somewhere else on the Desktop which should un-highlight them. Then try selecting the top most folder to move it.

There should also be an option in the Finder to snap items to the Grid on the Desktop. Try right-clicking or Control-clicking on an empty portion of the Desktop and select "Clean Up By ->". I think this will give you an option for "Grid", but of course this will move every item on the Desktop into a grid pattern so you will need to search to find items you may have placed strategically on the Desktop.

You can also open a Finder window and move one of the problem folders to another folder temporarily, then move it back to the Desktop. This can be risky as well if you accidentally drop it during the procedure you may have to search for it.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2022 1:38 PM in response to michaelsherrard

Click somewhere else on the Desktop which should un-highlight them. Then try selecting the top most folder to move it.

There should also be an option in the Finder to snap items to the Grid on the Desktop. Try right-clicking or Control-clicking on an empty portion of the Desktop and select "Clean Up By ->". I think this will give you an option for "Grid", but of course this will move every item on the Desktop into a grid pattern so you will need to search to find items you may have placed strategically on the Desktop.

You can also open a Finder window and move one of the problem folders to another folder temporarily, then move it back to the Desktop. This can be risky as well if you accidentally drop it during the procedure you may have to search for it.

Folders stuck together on iMac Desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.