Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Confirm passcode asks for passcode of old, sold iPhone

Hi, I’ve been getting the prompt to confirm my passcode since I changed my it. I tried to; I put in my Apple ID password, then it asked for my phone passcode which I put, then it asked for the passcode for my first iPhone 7. I have removed the said iPhone 7 from my trusted devices in settings and on find my iPhone. I have even changed my Apple ID passcode so if some how I was still logged in, it’ll log out. I have restarted my phone multiple times, but every-time I get to that point, it still requests for the passcode of that iPhone after I put in the passcode for my current iPhone. I’m really frustrated and need help. Also, I saw a reply someone had years ago to turn off two factor verification but I checked and I don’t have it on.

iPhone 12, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 21, 2022 12:54 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Sep 24, 2022 12:15 PM in response to zikora161

Hi zikora161,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having an issue with clearing this prompt. We'd like to help.

Just to confirm, is this passcode one that you remember or is it long forgotten? What are you trying to do with your iPhone when you get this prompt? When you sold your old iPhone, did you follow these steps to remove it from your account: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Take a look at that, and let us know more details about what's happening, and we'll go from there.

Take care!

Oct 6, 2022 7:13 AM in response to zikora161

Hey zikora161,

Follow the steps here to remove your Apple ID from the device:

1. Ask the new owner to erase all content and settings.
2. If you're using iCloud and Find My [device] on the device, sign in to iCloud.com/find or the Find My app on another device, select the device, and click Erase. After the device has been erased, click Remove from Account.
3. If you can't follow either of the above steps, change your Apple ID password. This won't remove personal information that's stored on your old device, but it prevents the new owner from deleting your information from iCloud.
4. If you're switching to a non-Apple phone, deregister iMessage
5. If you're using Apple Pay, you can remove your credit or debit cards at iCloud.com. Choose Account Settings to see which devices are using Apple Pay, then click the device. Next to Apple Pay, click Remove.
6. Remove your old device from your list of trusted devices.
7. If you purchased an AppleCare plan for your device, cancel your AppleCare plan.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad

Take care.

Oct 6, 2022 7:32 AM in response to zikora161

Hey zikora161,

It sounds like you’ve taken all the necessary steps that you’re able to do considering you and the person you sold the iPhone to no longer have access to it. It’s possible this alert may be related to your iCloud Keychain. If you're unable to approve, reset your end-to-end encrypted data when prompted. You can read more here:

Set up iCloud Keychain

Regards.

Oct 6, 2022 7:03 AM in response to ColleenD1

Hi ColleenD1,

I sold the phone to a friend, and all I did was transfer my data to my new phone. I contacted him when I got your reply and sent the link to him, but he said he no longer has access to the phone and that he didn’t follow the steps. The prompt just pops up randomly, sometimes multiple times in a day. Of recent, it pops up maybe once a week. The friend doesn’t know the passcode to the phone anymore, and I would also much rather disconnect it from my Apple ID than solving this problem temporarily.

Oct 6, 2022 7:22 AM in response to barberlives123

Hi Barberlives 123,

The new owner says he doesn’t have access to the phone anymore. I haven’t used said phone in 2 years and have even used an iPhone 11 right after, before the iphone 12 I currently use. I never had this issue when I immediately switched to the 11. I just started being required the password for that iPhone recently when I changed my password. I have removed it from my trusted devices, removed it from find my and I have also changed my Apple ID password. Still, when I get the prompt to confirm my passcode, I’m required to put my Apple ID password, my current iPhone passcode and the passcode of the old iPhone 7 in question.

Confirm passcode asks for passcode of old, sold iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.