Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

So, I have a document written in English in Pages, how do I translate it to Italian and where does the translated document appear.

How do I translate to Italian a document written in English using the Pages App, and where does the translated document appear?

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Sep 21, 2022 6:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2022 7:44 AM

Hiimmel wrote:

T On my iPad, when I select some, or all, of the text to be translated, I get a message "The selected content will be sent to Apple to process the translation. You can choose to always translate offline in Settings." When I press "Continue, " nothing happens.

It works fine for me. Where are you located?

Have you tried going to the Settings for Translate and downloading the Italian stuff for offline work?

Regarding the document translation feature, to ask Apple to add that, you can use

Product Feedback - Apple

(Here you are only talking to other users like yourself).

Unfortunately Apple's translation services are still pretty primative compared to Google's, especially in terms of language coverage. Hopefully they will improve over time.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2022 7:44 AM in response to Hiimmel

Hiimmel wrote:

T On my iPad, when I select some, or all, of the text to be translated, I get a message "The selected content will be sent to Apple to process the translation. You can choose to always translate offline in Settings." When I press "Continue, " nothing happens.

It works fine for me. Where are you located?

Have you tried going to the Settings for Translate and downloading the Italian stuff for offline work?

Regarding the document translation feature, to ask Apple to add that, you can use

Product Feedback - Apple

(Here you are only talking to other users like yourself).

Unfortunately Apple's translation services are still pretty primative compared to Google's, especially in terms of language coverage. Hopefully they will improve over time.

Sep 21, 2022 7:24 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks for your prompt reply. I'm sure Google does a reasonably good job as you said, but what's the point of using Pages? I could just use Google Docs or Microsoft Word. Please forgive me if my reply sounds harsh, but I'm frustrated that an option in Pages to translate documents into other languages doesn't exist or, at a minimum, doesn't work for selected text.

Sep 21, 2022 8:27 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Ok, got it, well almost. In Settings>Translate I downloaded Italian and turned-on "On Device Mode." In Pages, I selected my English language document, selected all of it and on the pop-up menu (that you referred to), selected Translate. On the next pop-up, I selected From English To Italian. On a side-bar the translation appeared. I scrolled to the end of the translation and selected "Copy Translation." Selecting "Documents" on the top menu, I cannot find the copy of the translated document.

I will work on it. Thanks again for your help.

Sep 21, 2022 9:50 AM in response to Hiimmel

Hiimmel wrote:

Thanks for your prompt reply. I'm sure Google does a reasonably good job as you said, but what's the point of using Pages? I could just use Google Docs or Microsoft Word. Please forgive me if my reply sounds harsh, but I'm frustrated that an option in Pages to translate documents into other languages doesn't exist or, at a minimum, doesn't work for selected text.

Personally, I'm uninclined to spend a lot of time on figuring out how to get something to work if there's another solution that looks like it will work. But, that's a personal preference.

So, I have a document written in English in Pages, how do I translate it to Italian and where does the translated document appear.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.