Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to translate from english to german in pages

how do I translate text in english to german in pages

Posted on Jul 23, 2022 10:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2022 5:49 PM

Select the text that you want to translate and press ctrl+click on it. This presents a secondary menu with the option to translate the content. Select that menu entry, at which time you can then release the keys. You end up with this:

Where it may be initially in Italian (what!), so change that to German as I have shown above. The translation occurs, and then you have different options, depending on where you want that German translation. I chose Replace… and here is the resulting Pages content with the English text replaced by the German translation:

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2022 5:49 PM in response to cornrock7

Select the text that you want to translate and press ctrl+click on it. This presents a secondary menu with the option to translate the content. Select that menu entry, at which time you can then release the keys. You end up with this:

Where it may be initially in Italian (what!), so change that to German as I have shown above. The translation occurs, and then you have different options, depending on where you want that German translation. I chose Replace… and here is the resulting Pages content with the English text replaced by the German translation:

Jul 24, 2022 4:55 AM in response to cornrock7

If you do not have macOS Monterey and Pages v12.1, your option to translate your Pages document comes in the form of uploading an exported Word .docx, or PDF to Google Translate, and then downloading the resultant translated document. Files must be under 10 MB and PDF documents must be 300 pages or less. Set the translated language to German before the upload.

Note that if you upload a PDF, the translation will be in a PDF, and you will not be able to make changes to that content without an extra cost PDF Editor — unless you have access to MS Word 16.31 or later, which can open a PDF and convert it to Word .docx. Then you can get it back into Pages just by opening that .docx.

Common sense about not uploading business confidential or personal privacy content to Google.

Jul 24, 2022 3:58 PM in response to Barry

Thanks Barry. Maybe I just don't understand what I am NOT doing correctly, but I have attempted the very process you indicated several times, but to no avail. I first select all of the text that I want to translate. Then, I select the language (German) and region (Germany). This causes there to be a notification at the lower right portion of the document letting me know that the language and region has been changed to German/Germany, yet nothing else occurs when I click to have the translation take effect. Thanks again for your response. Incidentally, I do have the most current version of Mac OS and Pages installed on my MacBook Air.

Jul 24, 2022 4:02 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks Viking OSX for our response. Unfortunately, I do not want to expose my document to Google or online due to it being a very important business letter. Also, it is my understanding that Google requires a gmail account in order to access its translation software. I do not have such an account. Again, I thank you for the information.

how to translate from english to german in pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.