Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you prevent apps from launching at startup (Box app)? (login items doesn't solve that)

Hi,

How do you prevent apps from launching at startup, namely the Box app?

The login items in Users / Groups doesn't solve that.

I removed their .phlist in Launch Agents and Launch Daemons. Still starts at startup.

Box's support can't be reached and there is no info on that question on their community support platform, so I'm reaching out here.

MacOS Monterey on MacBook Pro M1

Thank you!

Posted on Sep 21, 2022 9:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2022 10:53 AM

Often when installing an app there's a time when you're asked if you want the app to launch at boot time. That adds the kext files in the system but it's not listed in the Login Items preference pane.

Launch the Box application again and see if there's any place you can turn off the launch at login feature.

If there is none you could uninstall Box according to the developer's instructions.

If all else fails download and run the shareware app Find Any File to search for any files with the application's or the developer's name in the file name.  For the Box software I'm guessing you'd do the following search: 

1 - Name contains box

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash bin in the Dock for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.  

If you're unable to drag them to the Trash because they are running boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and run Find Any File from there. Then rReboot normally.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2022 10:53 AM in response to appleforumquery

Often when installing an app there's a time when you're asked if you want the app to launch at boot time. That adds the kext files in the system but it's not listed in the Login Items preference pane.

Launch the Box application again and see if there's any place you can turn off the launch at login feature.

If there is none you could uninstall Box according to the developer's instructions.

If all else fails download and run the shareware app Find Any File to search for any files with the application's or the developer's name in the file name.  For the Box software I'm guessing you'd do the following search: 

1 - Name contains box

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash bin in the Dock for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.  

If you're unable to drag them to the Trash because they are running boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and run Find Any File from there. Then rReboot normally.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Sep 22, 2022 6:15 AM in response to appleforumquery

Many thanks for your help everyone!

I managed to post the question on Box's community support forum, but no answers so far.

It seems this command on Terminal does the trick :

sudo defaults write /Users/user name/Library/LaunchAgents/com.box.desktop.launch.plist RunAtLoad -boolean false

I also run the commands to deactivate the auto updater and the helper :

sudo defaults write /Library/LaunchAgents/com.box.desktop.helper.plist RunAtLoad -boolean false

sudo defaults write /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.box.desktop.autoupdater.plist RunAtLoad -boolean false

Thank you!

Sep 21, 2022 10:55 AM in response to appleforumquery

appleforumquery wrote:

Hi,

How do you prevent apps from launching at startup, namely the Box app?

The login items in Users / Groups doesn't solve that.

I removed their .phlist in Launch Agents and Launch Daemons. Still starts at startup.

Box's support can't be reached and there is no info on that question on their community support platform, so I'm reaching out here.

MacOS Monterey on MacBook Pro M1

Thank you!

Box app....(?) no reference, no link...

If in doubt refer to the developers website; Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility/updates:

Contact a third party vendor

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

ref: https://www.box.com/customer-success/support-services

https://www.box.com/about-us/contact-us

https://support.box.com/hc/en-us

Uninstall Box Tools - Box Support

Uninstalling Box Drive - Box Support

Uninstalling Box Sync Using Box Drive - Box Support

Uninstalling Box Sync Manually - Box Support

Configuring the Box Sync Uninstall Process - Box Support

Can't uninstall Box - Used Terminal Command Provided

Sep 21, 2022 1:15 PM in response to appleforumquery

Take a look in /Library/LaunchAgents or ~/Library/LaunchAgents. Apps can add a launchd plist to launch the apps; however, the app should have a preference setting to enable or disable that.

If they don't have a preference setting, then you can try deleting that company/software plist from the LaunchAgents folder, but that may break other things in the App.

How do you prevent apps from launching at startup (Box app)? (login items doesn't solve that)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.