Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac won't backup iPhone 11

As of yesterday my iPhone 11 won't backup to my iMac, although it has always done so successfully before. I got an error message saying that the backup won't work without an update. I loaded and installed the update but there was no change in behavior. The iMac is running MacOS12.6 and the iPhone is running iOS 16.0. I also she down and rebooted both the iMac and the iPhone, to no effect.

Any suggestions? Is this a bug or a malware result?

iPhone 11

Posted on Sep 24, 2022 12:51 PM

2 replies

Sep 25, 2022 11:11 AM in response to jackfromlosangeles

The explanation is that, for Macs running macOS 10.14 or older, new versions of iOS and iPadOS usually require a little update be applied to iTunes to handle the newer OS install. It does not change your system software. Apple's article on the subject:

If you see "Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

is rather useless because it gives no more useful information than the non-intuitive alert.

iMac won't backup iPhone 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.