Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I regularly receive a message when I backup my iPhone 8 to my late 2014 iMac, that software needs to be downloaded to allow the backup. What exactly is this software? The download often freezes. Can I download the necessary software before backup?

I regularly receive a message when I backup my iPhone 8 to my late 2014 iMac, that software needs to be downloaded to allow the backup. What exactly is this software? The download often freezes. Can I download the necessary software before backup? I always backup locally, rather than to the Cloud.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Mar 31, 2023 4:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2023 2:46 AM

Are you referring to this? -> If you see "Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch

If your Mac says a software update is required to connect to iPhone or iPad – Apple Support (UK)

If so, you may need to update the software on your Mac in order for it to recognise your iOS device

Click Install to download and install the software so your Mac can update or sync your iOS device.

It is just a small patch for macOS.

You won't notice that update by the way, it only lasted 5 minutes or so.

Note: it will not update your macOS version and also not the iPhone iOS.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2023 2:46 AM in response to d_linkeg

Are you referring to this? -> If you see "Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch

If your Mac says a software update is required to connect to iPhone or iPad – Apple Support (UK)

If so, you may need to update the software on your Mac in order for it to recognise your iOS device

Click Install to download and install the software so your Mac can update or sync your iOS device.

It is just a small patch for macOS.

You won't notice that update by the way, it only lasted 5 minutes or so.

Note: it will not update your macOS version and also not the iPhone iOS.

I regularly receive a message when I backup my iPhone 8 to my late 2014 iMac, that software needs to be downloaded to allow the backup. What exactly is this software? The download often freezes. Can I download the necessary software before backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.