Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot back-up iPhone on MacOS-based computer

Hi Friends,

I'm running macOS Monterrey 12.6.3 and am trying to back-up my iPhone SE (2020; running iOS 16.3.1) to my computer but keep running into the error "could not run backup because the backup was corrupt."

I've reset the settings on my iPhone and deleted all previous backups but am still unable to run a backup. What else might I try to resolve the problem?

Thanks for your help.

Posted on Mar 6, 2023 7:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2023 9:56 PM

Please delete the old backup and try again. Because anyway if you take a fresh backup it is going to overwrite on that old backup and is going to create a new one.

Alternatively, you can archive the old backup.

How to create Multiple Backups on the same device.

1. On iTunes Click on Manage Backups
  2. Right Click on a Backup and Click Archive
  3. Click Backup Now.
  4. You will see a fresh backup will get created See the GIF below

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2023 9:56 PM in response to chris.radford

Please delete the old backup and try again. Because anyway if you take a fresh backup it is going to overwrite on that old backup and is going to create a new one.

Alternatively, you can archive the old backup.

How to create Multiple Backups on the same device.

1. On iTunes Click on Manage Backups
  2. Right Click on a Backup and Click Archive
  3. Click Backup Now.
  4. You will see a fresh backup will get created See the GIF below

Mar 6, 2023 9:53 PM in response to chris.radford

It would be better if you can please re-post with a screenshot, in order to understand the phenomenon better. Images/pictures speak louder than words. 

Please understand this is a public forum: While attaching a Screenshot, do not provide any personal credentials, such as IP address, Card detail, email id, apple id, IMEI number, Serial Number, Phone number, Order ID, if you are sharing a map ensure your location is not identifiable, etc.

With the limited information that you have provided, It is hard to even guess the problems faced by you. 

You may get faster and better responses to your query by --> Writing an effective Apple Support Commun… - Apple ...

Please re-post with detail so that someone else can help.

Cannot back-up iPhone on MacOS-based computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.