Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How not to transfer installed spyware/malware from iPhone iCloud back up to new iphone

If law enforcement installed malware or spyware onto my iphone during a forensic extraction of my iPhone data, and I buy a new iphone- how do I ensure the malware is not transferred onto the new iphone?

I ran a scan and no spy or malware was detected; however, my phone will consistently not update and is glitchy since being in police custody.

I purchased a new phone, but do not want to transfer the malware. Will a computer/iTunes back up prevent this? Or iCloud back up? Or the QR code back up option? Or must I start completely from scratch and transfer nothing?

please no responses stating my phone wasn’t hacked by law enforcement or that I am just paranoid. The fact is, it was taken out of my possession for several months as part of an active investigation and all data was forensically extracted. It has not been acting right since it was returned to me. I want to be positive nothing is transferred.

thank you

iPhone XS

Posted on Sep 24, 2022 2:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2022 2:22 PM

MillishaBee Said:

"How not to transfer installed spyware/malware from iPhone iCloud back up to new iphone: [...]please no responses stating my phone wasn’t hacked by law enforcement or that I am just paranoid. The fact is, it was taken out of my possession for several months as part of an active investigation and all data was forensically extracted."

-------

Troubleshooting a "Hacked" Device:

Just like anyone, your best options are to secure your account (open and use a new eMail address for your Apple ID), and add everything manually. As for your current phone, set it up anew, as if you were to sell it. In Depth.

Four Things Here:

A. Modify your Credentials:

Having so much suspicion, consider modifying your credentials, ASAP, starting with a new password.

B. Verify Your Devices:

Verify that your the devices logged in to your account or officially yours, by using this link: Check your Apple ID Device List to See where you're Signed in - Apple Support

C. Report this to Apple:

Have any suspicious items on the screen (i.e. messages)? Use my User Tip: Using the Photos App to Report Scams: - User Tips

and...

D. Set this Up Anew:

If you are so concerned, then reset your iPhone, as if you were to sell it. Perform as interacted here, including the backup: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2022 2:22 PM in response to MilishaBee

MillishaBee Said:

"How not to transfer installed spyware/malware from iPhone iCloud back up to new iphone: [...]please no responses stating my phone wasn’t hacked by law enforcement or that I am just paranoid. The fact is, it was taken out of my possession for several months as part of an active investigation and all data was forensically extracted."

-------

Troubleshooting a "Hacked" Device:

Just like anyone, your best options are to secure your account (open and use a new eMail address for your Apple ID), and add everything manually. As for your current phone, set it up anew, as if you were to sell it. In Depth.

Four Things Here:

A. Modify your Credentials:

Having so much suspicion, consider modifying your credentials, ASAP, starting with a new password.

B. Verify Your Devices:

Verify that your the devices logged in to your account or officially yours, by using this link: Check your Apple ID Device List to See where you're Signed in - Apple Support

C. Report this to Apple:

Have any suspicious items on the screen (i.e. messages)? Use my User Tip: Using the Photos App to Report Scams: - User Tips

and...

D. Set this Up Anew:

If you are so concerned, then reset your iPhone, as if you were to sell it. Perform as interacted here, including the backup: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

How not to transfer installed spyware/malware from iPhone iCloud back up to new iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.