Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use for Apple Airport Express

How many of you have old Apple Airport Express devices? Did you know there’s a perfectly good use you can put them to, even in 2022? Unlike the AirPort Extreme, the Express supports Airplay 2. To use it,

1. Set it up to run on your WiFi network
  2. Plug a 3.5 mm stereo audio plug into the Express
  3. plug the other end into a music player with a 3.5 mm stereo socket, or into left and right channel RCA sockets (the other end has to be a 3.5 mm stereo plug for the Express end)
  4. Play a music source on an Apple device, and on the playing track, look for the Airplay icon (3 concentric circles with a triangle pointing up at the bottom)
  5. You should see, under the Airplay banner, the option “Airplay 2”. You can select that to replay your music on your newly connected music player.

Why is this a good thing? Using “Airplay” you can only play music on the connected device. With Airplay 2, you can use multiple playback options. So, for example, if you had a pair of HomePod speakers playing, you can also add any other Airplay 2 device. I have a traditional stereo amplifier in my garage which backs onto an entertainment area.

There’s a pair of Yamaha passive speakers connected to the amplifier, so now my Airport Express allows me to connect to this amp and speakers over WiFi via Airplay 2. But there’s more. I do have a pair of Apple HomePod speakers operating indoors. Airplay 2 allows me to hear the same music on two music players, completely in sync.

if you have an Airport Express you don’t want, I’ll take it of your hands if you like.

good luck

Apple TV

Posted on Sep 25, 2022 12:03 AM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

Use for Apple Airport Express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.