Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with messages

Hi, from my new iPhone 12 sms cannot be sent, only iMessages. I have checked the settings and selected both options "iMessage" and "Send as sms".

May it depend from the fact that 2 iPhones are associated to my iCloud profile ? Because I can only send sms from first iPhone (1) and not the new one (2), although in the Messages menu in section "Send and receive" for phone 1, I associated the number of phone 1 and in the same section for phone 2, I associated the number of phone 2 ... Does anybody have an idea how the issue can be solved ? Thanks a lot !

iPhone 12, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 25, 2022 1:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2022 1:59 AM

You need to get an SMS plan enabled by your carrier for the SIM that you are using.

"Send as SMS" is used only when you do not have the internet to send an iMessage assuming you have an SMS plan enabled by your carrier.

2 replies

Problems with messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.