Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard shortcuts not working on Safari

Hi everyone,

I'm running into a problem while setting up shortcuts on Safari version 16.0 on a Mac running Monterey 12.6.

I want to add a new entry on Apple Reminders or Apple Notes using a keyboard shortcut, so I tried to set it up but it does not seem to work.

Here's what happens:

when I use the shortcut I see the menu bar "flashing" as it is being activated, but it does not work unless I specifically open File->Share before using it (which obviously defies the purpose since at that point I may as well just click on the voice of the menu).

I think it's a Safari problem, because I tried setting up ands using the exact same shortcut on another browser (Firefox) and it works!

Anyone else has encountered this problem? Any ideas on how to make it work? I could just use Firefox (or another browser) of course but I'd prefer to just use Safari.

Thank you!

Mac mini, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 25, 2022 2:16 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Sep 26, 2022 5:57 PM in response to Flazio81

Hello Flazio81,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

If we understand your post correctly, you're having some issues with shortcuts in Safari. We'd like to help!

See if any of these help:

Here are shortcuts you can use, in addition to those that appear in Safari menus. To turn off or change keyboard shortcuts, see Create keyboard shortcuts for apps.
Scroll
Action
Shortcut or gesture
Scroll up, down, left, or right
Press the arrow keys.
Scroll in larger increments
Press Option while you press an arrow key.
Scroll down a screen
Page Down
Space bar
Scroll up a screen
Page Up
Shift–Space bar
Scroll to the top-left or bottom-left corner of the page
Command–Up Arrow
Command–Down Arrow
Current webpage
Action
Shortcut or gesture
Search the current webpage
Command-F
Highlight the next field or pop-up menu on a webpage
Tab
Tab also highlights buttons and other controls if “Use keyboard navigation to move focus between controls” is selected in the Shortcuts pane of the Keyboard pane of System Preferences.
Highlight the next field, pop-up menu, or clickable item (such as a link) on a webpage
Option-Tab
Option-Tab also highlights buttons and other controls if “Use keyboard navigation to move focus between controls” is selected in the Shortcuts pane of the Keyboard pane of System Preferences.
To swap the behavior of Tab and Option-Tab, turn on “Press Tab to highlight each item on a webpage” in the Advanced pane of Safari preferences.
While typing in the Smart Search field, restore the current webpage address
Esc
Select the Smart Search field
Command-L
Print the current webpage
Command-P
Copy the selected item
Command-C
Paste the most recently copied item
Command-V
Tabs
Action
Shortcut or gesture
Show tab overview
Shift-Command-\
Open a page in a new tab
Command-click a link
Command-click a bookmark
Command-Return after typing in the Smart Search field.
Open a page in a new tab, and make that tab the active tab
Shift-Command-click a link
Shift-Command-click a bookmark
Shift-Command-Return after typing in the Smart Search field.
Go to the next tab
Control-Tab or Shift-Command-]
Go to the previous tab
Control-Shift-Tab or Shift-Command -[
Select one of your first nine tabs
Command-1 to Command-9
Close the active tab
Command-W
Close all tabs except for one
Option-click the Close button  on the tab you want to leave open
Reopen the last tab you closed
Shift-Command-T

More Safari shortcuts can be found here: Keyboard shortcuts and gestures in Safari on Mac

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care!

Keyboard shortcuts not working on Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.