Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone storage issue iOS16

Hi everyone,

I've just purchased an iPhone 14 Pro Max (256Gb) and following the data transfer, when re-downloading the apps, I received a message that I had no more storage space.

I checked my iPhone 12 Pro Max and see that I have used 176Gb, so in theory, the 14 should be fine. At first I thought it might be a migration issue, so I rebooted the phone and the memory was reset, but after watching it, the System Data kept creeping up every 10 minutes until it was full. A quick reboot and it all starts again, being full in under 1hr.

I read there was a possible issue, so deleted everything, reset the phone and installed again, but the same issue remains.

Anyone seen the same and know if there is a solution as I can't keep rebooting the phone every hour?

Thanks

Kai

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 26, 2022 7:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2022 8:36 AM

If this were my phone, I'd use my computer to back up to either iTunes (Windows) or Finder (Mac - Catalina or Higher), the again using my computer, restore from the backup created.

I have helped numerous people with your issue do this and it works to solve the likely issue that your iCloud backup contains some corrupted files.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2022 8:36 AM in response to Fision

If this were my phone, I'd use my computer to back up to either iTunes (Windows) or Finder (Mac - Catalina or Higher), the again using my computer, restore from the backup created.

I have helped numerous people with your issue do this and it works to solve the likely issue that your iCloud backup contains some corrupted files.

Sep 28, 2022 7:44 AM in response to Fision

Salutations Fision, 

To clarify, are you using Quick Start to transfer your data? We’re not saying this is an issue, just wanting to make sure we are on the same page. 

Restarting is a good instinct. As your iPhone is completely it’s background syncing and processing after the initial set up, are you noticing any changes in that data usage? 

If you sync your photos with iCloud, let’s also check the status in the Photos app to see if they are still syncing. To do that open the Photos app, go to the Library tab, and tap All Photos. Then scroll to the bottom of your screen. You should see the status here, along with the count for your photos and videos. Set up and use iCloud Photos

Thanks. 

Sep 28, 2022 8:15 AM in response to AnnieL2

Hi,

Yes, I used the quick start, putting my phones together and the issue kept occurring, so then I erased and reset the phone, then tried again, thinking the setup may have been an issue. Same happened. I then erased and reset and again, but this time, using the iCloud backup of my 12Pro Max, to install from. Same issue again and this time, two thirds of my storage is now showing as System data (255.2 GB of 256 GB used). My iPhone 12 Pro Max shows 162.9GB of 256 GB used.

-----------

I forgot to add, my photo files is 19.45GB on iPhone 12 and 5.45GB on iPhone 14, so no, it hasn't sync'd fully and there is no space for it to finish.

I've just been advised to wait 72hrs to see if the storage issue resolves during optimisation.

Sep 29, 2022 1:02 AM in response to lobsterghost1

I took your advice last night and went for the Mac backup/restore option. It appears to have worked and my 14 is now showing 111.1GB of 256GB used. This is a lot less than my 12 but I'm grateful that your suggestion worked.

There is a discrepancy with Photos and this may be with optimised storage? On my 12, its 19.49GB Vs. 9.89GB on my 14.

iPhone storage issue iOS16

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.