Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I used songs found in iMovie, facebook blocked/changed it because of copyright

I used 3 of the songs found in iMovie, I posted my created video on facebook and not it’s saying that it has blocked/changed it because of copyright in some countries, is this something I can dispute, change or avoid?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 27, 2022 7:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2022 9:38 AM

Yes, sometimes video websites will block an iMovie song because of copyright, or alleged copyright. The iMovie license gives you the right to use the song, royalty free, in your projects, for personal and non-commercial use. However, "royalty free" does not necessarily mean copyright free. The iMovie license states that you should consult an attorney if you have questions about your legal rights under the license agreement. Also, iMovie has a "legal" website where you might be able to get an answer. Here's the link:

Legal - Contact Us - Apple

Facebook may have some some procedure for disputing the claim and you could try that. You could argue that the iMovie license gives you the right to use the song for non-commercial purposes.

Otherwise, you may have to substitute a new song that will pass the copyright filter. It could be your own composed song, or a song from one of the websites on the internet where you can purchase royalty-copyright free songs. I think some of the websites offer them for free.

-- Rich

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2022 9:38 AM in response to Toledo29837

Yes, sometimes video websites will block an iMovie song because of copyright, or alleged copyright. The iMovie license gives you the right to use the song, royalty free, in your projects, for personal and non-commercial use. However, "royalty free" does not necessarily mean copyright free. The iMovie license states that you should consult an attorney if you have questions about your legal rights under the license agreement. Also, iMovie has a "legal" website where you might be able to get an answer. Here's the link:

Legal - Contact Us - Apple

Facebook may have some some procedure for disputing the claim and you could try that. You could argue that the iMovie license gives you the right to use the song for non-commercial purposes.

Otherwise, you may have to substitute a new song that will pass the copyright filter. It could be your own composed song, or a song from one of the websites on the internet where you can purchase royalty-copyright free songs. I think some of the websites offer them for free.

-- Rich

I used songs found in iMovie, facebook blocked/changed it because of copyright

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.