Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone text messages do not come thru to IPad Pro

Hey 👋,

when I receive text message to my iPhone, they don’t show up on my iPad Pro.

my iPhone is a 10x. New iPad Pro 4th generation.

Please walk me thru the steps. I’ve already gone to Setting-Messages-Seanand Receive and my phone number is listed on my iPhone. On my iPad the ONLY option is my email address under Setting-Messages-Send and Receive.

thanks everyone for help.

iPad Pro, 14

Posted on Sep 27, 2022 3:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2022 4:27 PM

Drowdie wrote:

Just to advise, on my iPhone…Settings~Messages~ Then, dear LotusPilot there is no such choice on iPhone Xr for “Text Message Forwarding.”

If you do not see this in the settings, this is what the Apple support document states that you should do.

* Don't see the Text Message Forwarding setting on your iPhone? Go to Settings > Messages, turn off iMessage, turn it back on, tap Send & Receive, tap Use Your Apple ID for iMessage, then sign in with the same Apple ID used on your other devices.

Copied from here.

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2022 4:27 PM in response to Drowdie

Drowdie wrote:

Just to advise, on my iPhone…Settings~Messages~ Then, dear LotusPilot there is no such choice on iPhone Xr for “Text Message Forwarding.”

If you do not see this in the settings, this is what the Apple support document states that you should do.

* Don't see the Text Message Forwarding setting on your iPhone? Go to Settings > Messages, turn off iMessage, turn it back on, tap Send & Receive, tap Use Your Apple ID for iMessage, then sign in with the same Apple ID used on your other devices.

Copied from here.

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

Sep 27, 2022 3:45 PM in response to Drowdie

To send/receive cell calls and SMS messages on an iPad, you need to pair/tether an iPad to an iPhone to be able to do this using cell call and SMS message forwarding.

Tap and read these links below.

Make and receive phone calls on iPad - Apple Support

Set up Messages on iPad - Apple Support

What is the difference between iMessage and SMS/MMS? - Apple Support

Good Luck!

Sep 27, 2022 3:48 PM in response to Drowdie

If you have an iPhone - and both iPad and iPhone are signed-in to iCloud with the same AppleID - to send SMS/MMS messages (green bubbles) from your iPad you must explicitly enable Text Message Forwarding for your iPad on your iPhone...

On your iPhone:

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - set to ON - and explicitly enable your iPad from the list of devices.

Also ensure that Messages in iCloud is enabled on both your iPhone and iPad:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Messages - set to ON

iPhone text messages do not come thru to IPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.