Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV presents multiple MAC addresses, sends packets to non-existent local IPs

Monitoring our AppleTV on our router, I've noticed two odd things with it (connected only via WiFi):

1. The AppleTV will present three different MAC addresses to DHCP to get IP addresses. I think this is the AppleTV as the HomeKit controller grabbing IP addresses for a pair of connected HomePods, but am not sure. One MAC is the one you see from within the AppleTV menus, the other two are apparently randomly generated and are not the same from reboot to reboot.
  2. The AppleTV is sending a couple of packets per minute to local (non-routable) IP addresses that do not and have never been on our LAN:

They are TCP to port 7000, which I understand to be involved with Airplay. But, again, those have never been legitimate subnets for us and our AppleTV was brand new and never used on any other network. (There's the possibility that the 192.168.0.148 IP was from the initial setup of our network -- a couple of years ago now -- when the router might've defaulted to the 192.168.0 subnet. But not the others.)

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 16

Posted on Sep 28, 2022 6:17 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Sep 28, 2022 1:34 PM in response to SnoopDogg94

To clarify: this is referring to a HomeKit Thread router acquiring multiple IP addresses by presenting additional non-static MAC addresses to the DHCP server, which appears to be the case.

I looked up the weird local IP's and did packet captures and it does in fact appear that there are packets coming from these IP addresses to which the AppleTV is attempting to respond. These are weird packets with no MAC address so it's hard to figure out where they're actually coming from on our network but the AppleTV isn't making them up. So the second behavior is not a quirk of the AppleTV.

AppleTV presents multiple MAC addresses, sends packets to non-existent local IPs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.