Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing plugin for Epson Perfection V600 Photo Scanner

My Epson scanner is not recognized by my VueScan 9.7.91 or 9.7.93 software. A pop up says that the plug in that I have is only for Intel based computers. However, on the Epson site, there is no new download to help; I have downloaded EVERYTHING available there for my (6 month old) scanner. I am running Monterey 12.1 on my new Mac Studio. The VueScan software worked perfectly on my 2019 iMac, which was Intel based. Also, I have plugged my Epson directly into the USB port (and tried a USB C adapter into the Thunderbolt 4 port) of my Mac Studio and then tried plugging it into my new USB 3.1 hub, all with no success. Any suggestions?

Mac Studio

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 3:02 PM

It is a shame that Epson releases an Apple Image Capture (ICA) V600 scanner driver in Aug 2022, which shows it is available for macOS 12 and does not state that it is incompatible with Apple Silicon Macs. It is a Universal binary but contains executables for 64-bit and 32-bit Intel architectures only. Checked that with lipo(1) so no mistake on the executable's contents.

You should reach out to Epson and raise massive **** about this. Epson has the Apple Developer tools to create Universal2 binaries that also contain ARM64e executables making this even more egregious. Apple has no control over internal Epson mischief and oversight.

Until you get functional ARM64e binaries from Epson for your Mac Studio, you have a V600 paperweight as even the optional, paid VueScan Professional won't drive this scanner without compatible Epson drivers.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2022 3:02 PM in response to mgraffeo

It is a shame that Epson releases an Apple Image Capture (ICA) V600 scanner driver in Aug 2022, which shows it is available for macOS 12 and does not state that it is incompatible with Apple Silicon Macs. It is a Universal binary but contains executables for 64-bit and 32-bit Intel architectures only. Checked that with lipo(1) so no mistake on the executable's contents.

You should reach out to Epson and raise massive **** about this. Epson has the Apple Developer tools to create Universal2 binaries that also contain ARM64e executables making this even more egregious. Apple has no control over internal Epson mischief and oversight.

Until you get functional ARM64e binaries from Epson for your Mac Studio, you have a V600 paperweight as even the optional, paid VueScan Professional won't drive this scanner without compatible Epson drivers.

Oct 1, 2022 3:37 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks for your great advice! I did call Epson, and they told me that the silicon plugin that I need had to come from Apple.,(I had installed all the Epson software and drivers). I just did more research and installed Rosetta 2, via Terminal. An Apple article told me how to set the "Get Info" page to "Open with Rosetta," which I did for my VueScan (Universal app) program - and IT WORKED! I had previously installed Rosetta 2 but didn't know to set the app to open with Rosetta 2! VueScan (Hamrick) is the scanning app I have used for over 20 years, on my 18-year-old HP Scant and and now on this new Epson. It's much better software than that which came with the Epson.

Thanks again for your help!

Oct 1, 2022 3:52 PM in response to mgraffeo

I was curious why Rosetta2 didn't just handle this and not having to deal with Epson nonsense, I didn't have the means to test and solve here. Fortunately, you resolved this after some hair loss and can now use VueScan Professional as it was intended.

You would think that Epson would not pass the buck here and force you to use Rosetta2 when the clang compiler supplied with the Apple Devtools can cross-compile. Perhaps they are doing this with a compiler that cannot generate ARM64E binaries. I have done that here with Swift binaries for Intel and M1 platforms, so it is not rocket science.

Missing plugin for Epson Perfection V600 Photo Scanner

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.