📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Learn about all the features, apps, and settings of your iPhone

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 14 Pro - Wireless Charging not working with slim standard case and standard QI charger

iPhone 14 Pro - Wireless Charging not working with slim standard case and standard QI charger!

I suspect it is a design flaw that iPhone 14 Pro cannot be charged on flat surface chargers (std Qi chargers, cars, furniture etc). I think the charge coil is located next to the large camera bump and that a slim 0.4mm camera case and the camera bump make the gap between charger coil and coil in phone too wide. I hope that this could be resolved with a SW update but I can not risk being stuck with the phone for 2 years on contract so I will return it for now. Note that my 4 wireless chargers worked fine with my iPhone 12 Pro.

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 30, 2022 12:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2022 12:07 PM

It seems as though the camera bump is not allowing it to lay flat and charge. Boo Apple. Now what do we do after we have spent money on wireless charging devices? Shame on you and all the money we spent on a ‘new’ phone that can’t use ‘new’ technology 🥺🥺🥺 will they recall them and give us new ones?

118 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 9, 2022 12:07 PM in response to Telecom Miami

It seems as though the camera bump is not allowing it to lay flat and charge. Boo Apple. Now what do we do after we have spent money on wireless charging devices? Shame on you and all the money we spent on a ‘new’ phone that can’t use ‘new’ technology 🥺🥺🥺 will they recall them and give us new ones?

Oct 4, 2022 1:09 AM in response to Telecom Miami

yup - it was pretty bad on my iphone 13 pro --- but i could take a second or two to make sure its placed just right on the $50 vertical doc charger I have.

with my iphone 14 pro I have to put it on the doc sideways so its not touching the camera bump. ..... pair that with the "always on" screen and its very frustrating to say the least.

There needs to be like... a tiny hockey puck I can put on my charger to bridge the gap or something

Nov 4, 2022 5:37 PM in response to Telecom Miami

I tested my sons 14 Pro just to be sure. It also works in my car and on all of my Qi chargers in my home with no issues. He has an OtterBox Defender case on his Pro. So unless we are somehow the exception it still doesn’t seem to be a software issue that needs to be fixed or anything. His is also the US version. He did say his wireless charging stand will constantly connect and disconnect if he places his phone on upright but works fine if he places his phone on it upside down so in that case it clearly is a magnet placement issue.

As far as MagSafe goes…I might be the only person on the planet that isn’t impressed. It’s not bad or anything but hasn’t been anything so mind blowing that I would say it’s worth it for me to go out of my way to get all MagSafe everything. Particularly in my car. I’m not going to trade using my OEM charging pad and wireless Apple CarPlay to go back to plugging in a cable to use MagSafe (or using an add-on solution like a charger that attaches to the vent/windshield/cup holder/etc). Outside of my car I do have a few MagSafe chargers including a MagSafe charging stand but I just don’t gravitate to them. Unless I’m just missing some extra benefit that I just haven’t noticed other than the ease of connection because of the magnets…

Dec 5, 2022 4:30 PM in response to lobsterghost1

yep Can plug it into the usb. But poses a problem

as there is no where to place the phone unless I purchase and mount a phone holder. Which isn’t that easy either with the large digital control screen

and if I use a cup holder would need an 18” plus cable which will then interfere with the shifter

and apple moving it really isn’t the issue. It’s the introduction of the camera and the lip around it

Dec 8, 2022 4:28 AM in response to Telecom Miami

We just purchased our new iPhone 14 pro max and the retailer gave us both the wireless charging pad. We are having the same issue as everyone else, it doesn’t charge. The camera sits so much higher and that bump causes the phone not sit properly. We’ve reverted back to the standard charger (plug in).I’m also having an issue with my wireless charger in my vehicle too and not because it’s not large enough. After a little manipulation and readjusting, it will eventually charge in the vehicle. It’s just a major inconvenience.

Nov 6, 2022 12:01 PM in response to KaeBFly

It appears many people commenting here are confused missing the point.

Normal flat surface charging / Qi charging is a worldwide standard implemented in millions of chargers, cars, desks and other furniture. MagSafe is an Apple proprietary semi wireless variant utilizing a small magnetic puck/connector that attaches to the phone. Magsafe is great for replacing the lightning connector.

The Iphone 14 pro does not support standard Qi wireless charging (at least not with a really slim case) so Apple has silently stopped supporting std charging. (alternatively they have incompetent engineers)

On apples own website they claim Qi wireless charging is supported.

iPhone 13 pro and 14 pro are spect with the following:

• MagSafe wireless charging up to 15W14
  • Qi wireless charging up to 7.5W14

Dec 5, 2022 3:50 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Understood. But Apple went on a big push to get everyone to go wireless charging. Picked a standard, and then basically abandoned it yet another proprietary version. Desks and tables with built in chargers. Home furniture and other items as well. We’re just getting popular and don’t work with the flagship model phone

about the time the car

manufacturer’s come up with a good solution that is compatible with all versions of a phone, Apple will probably change it again

and really sucks as my new 2023 Outback had a very very good solution and placement for the phone

Dec 17, 2022 7:37 PM in response to shannan33

That's simply not true; there are multiple flat plate chargers that continue to work with the 14 Pro and Pro Max, it's just your car's won't, and that's entirely due to bad assumptions your auto maker made about the charging coil location and distance to the device.

My car dealer has a Sobro Smart Side Table in their service waiting area, and it works properly to charge my phone.

Oct 4, 2022 7:47 AM in response to Telecom Miami

It is true that the charging coil in the newest phones (actually since iPhone 12) with MagSafe, repositioned the charging coil. And it's true it made some older chargers not work well with the newer design. Apple can't release a software update and the coil isn't going to be repositioned. So what do you do? Exactly what I did and move over to MagSafe charging or don't use older Qi chargers and instead plug your phone into charge. I made the switch a couple years ago now and every charger I use is MagSafe. MagSafe is amazingly simple and flawless in its ability to align the charger with the coil in the back of the phone.

iPhone 14 Pro - Wireless Charging not working with slim standard case and standard QI charger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.