Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random Static on TouchBar

MBP M1, 2020, Monterey 12.6

Suddenly, TouchBar started to display random static when turning on and waking up. static fade away. Touch Bar still responsive. Sometimes, the problem disappears and Touch Bar display and functionality return to normal. But the problem re-appears as soon as the computer wakes up from sleep. Updated system, all softwares. Complete shut down of the computer did not resolve the issue. Re-installing MacOs did not resolve the problem. Stopping the TouchBar Server and control strip from activity monitor and terminal did not solve the problem. There are no authorized Apple service provider where I am now.

Posted on Sep 30, 2022 2:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2022 7:18 AM

hani1972 wrote:

Suddenly, TouchBar started to display random static when turning on and waking up. static fade away. Touch Bar still responsive.

Sometimes, the problem disappears and Touch Bar display and functionality return to normal. But the problem re-appears as soon as the computer wakes up from sleep. Updated system, all softwares. Complete shut down of the computer did not resolve the issue. Re-installing MacOs did not resolve the problem. Stopping the TouchBar Server and control strip from activity monitor and terminal did not solve the problem. There are no authorized Apple service provider where I am now.

After all that trouble shooting...

you might suspect a hardware issue, and is working in a state of failure— I expect it will get worse not better.

I would wait it out, if it turns out to be efi/software with any luck a point update would resolve it(?)

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

A Safeboot on your M1 is your only other hope to test

SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair Service Mac Service & Repair - Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2022 7:18 AM in response to hani1972

hani1972 wrote:

Suddenly, TouchBar started to display random static when turning on and waking up. static fade away. Touch Bar still responsive.

Sometimes, the problem disappears and Touch Bar display and functionality return to normal. But the problem re-appears as soon as the computer wakes up from sleep. Updated system, all softwares. Complete shut down of the computer did not resolve the issue. Re-installing MacOs did not resolve the problem. Stopping the TouchBar Server and control strip from activity monitor and terminal did not solve the problem. There are no authorized Apple service provider where I am now.

After all that trouble shooting...

you might suspect a hardware issue, and is working in a state of failure— I expect it will get worse not better.

I would wait it out, if it turns out to be efi/software with any luck a point update would resolve it(?)

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

A Safeboot on your M1 is your only other hope to test

SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair Service Mac Service & Repair - Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Sep 30, 2022 9:01 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you again for your help. Just an update, I tried safe boot, and uninstalled vpn and anti-virus softwares. Problem is the same.

I should note that when the Touch Bar returned to function normally, it was always after I had shut down the computer and did not use it for a couple of days. This could mean that it is probably not a hardware issue. I shall wait for the new system update and see how it works. I will have to re-install vpn software. From where I am too many websites (newspapers and academic databases) are blocked. Besides, the vpn software never caused a problem before.

Random Static on TouchBar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.