Pixelated screen using Apple CarPlay

This is not a new topic here, as far as I see, I think it is the right thing to open this discussion for those of you having new generation cars from the VW group:

The Apple CarPlay problems are not only on Honda models. My Skoda Octavia 4 (VW MIB3 Infotainment System) has the same problem.

When using navigation apps (Waze, Apple Maps, Google Maps) on both my iPhone 11 Pro Max and iPhone 7, after a while, the navigation part of the screen is getting blurry.

Both iPhones have the newest updates, the car also. Restarting the iPhones or the car infotainment system doesn’t help.

You can refresh the blurred screen by changing shortly to a car menu and then back to Apple CarPlay. This holds for a while (5-10 Minutes) and then you go again.

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 7:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2023 4:18 AM

Found a solution for me :) Posting this from my Google pixel phone everything works perfectly with Android Auto. Good job Apple :/

Similar questions

249 replies

Oct 2, 2022 5:23 PM in response to cristiandrg

Hello cristiandrg,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities, and we'll be happy to help in any way we can. We understand you're having issues with CarPlay. Try the steps listed here to see if they resolve the issue: If you need help with CarPlay - Apple Support

"If you need help with CarPlay 

If CarPlay doesn't work like you expect, learn what to do.

First, make sure that your country or region supports CarPlay and that your car supports CarPlay. If you're unsure if your car supports CarPlay, contact the vehicle manufacturer.

Make sure that your iPhone has the latest version of iOS. If your iPhone is updated to the latest version of iOS, follow these steps — checking CarPlay after each step:

1. Check your connection to your CarPlay stereo:
    • If you have a wired connection, try connecting again with a different USB cable to a different USB port if you have one.
    • If you have a wireless connection, make sure that Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are enabled under Settings > Wi-Fi and Settings > Bluetooth.
  1. If CarPlay doesn't activate automatically, look for the CarPlay logo on your car's display.
  2. Restart your iPhone and your car. 
  3. Make sure that Siri is on.
  4. If your iPhone isn't detected by CarPlay, make sure that CarPlay isn't restricted. Go to Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions, tap Allowed Apps and make sure that CarPlay is enabled.
  5. Go to Settings > General > CarPlay, tap your car, then tap Forget This Car. Then set up CarPlay again.
  6. Make sure that your CarPlay stereo is using the latest firmware from the car manufacturer. Check your car's manual for more information.

If you still have issues connecting to CarPlay, contact Apple Support."

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Feb 1, 2023 6:55 AM in response to cristiandrg

Also happening on my 2022 VW California Ocean (Transporter T6.1 base vehicle). The issue started happening very occasionally in Aug 2022, but it’s now an immediate failure every time we use Google Maps and Waze. So I did some tests before taking my van into a VW centre to get this checked out. The issue DOESN’T happen if either :

1. Using Apple Maps, not Google Maps.
  2. Using Google Maps but not selecting a route.
  3. Using Google Maps, selected a route, but vehicle is stationary.

As soon as I use Google Maps with an active route it immediately pixelates, whether using Bluetooth or the USB cable. At the same time my phone gets very warm. Tested on 2 different iPhones, but up to date for updates. No current OTA updates available for the vehicle. A workshop software update is available but my VW centre tells me it’s not to do with CarPlay.

Oct 31, 2022 7:50 PM in response to Milancze007

Same issue with iphone xs.

experienced on ios 15 and 16.

Seat Leon 2020 with MIB3 infotainment. Initially it was only Waze. Now it started with Google Maps. Apple Maps working fine. It seems that using those apps slow down the phone and the carplay screen start to slow down more and more. Only solution is to kill the appa from phone.

problem experienced both cabled or wireless. It seems that a google library mixed with infotainment video codec is causing the issue. Really don’t know where to bang my head.

Nov 1, 2022 12:17 PM in response to cristiandrg

With this pixelation issue my understanding has been that the head unit manufacturers needed to release a firmware update. The problem comes in where the manufacturer will automatically say it’s an iOS issue and advise you to contact Apple. It then becomes a frustrating cycle of getting pushed back and forth. I had the issue years ago in a Nissan but got lucky because the Regional Service Manager escalated the problem when he noticed it which pushed a firmware update to finally be released. The problem was with the head unit and its issue processing info from the new iOS versus it being an iOS only issue. Not saying definitively this is what’s happening with you all but it’s very likely.

Nov 1, 2022 1:54 PM in response to cristiandrg

I can also confirm that this happens on my CUPRA Ateca 2022.

I've had this from day 1. I've had a proper play around with this and drawn the conclusion this is specific to this face lift head unit and Google Maps / Waze. My troubleshooting has comprised of the following:

• Tried different phones - Same issue.
  • Uninstalled and re-installed Waze and Google Maps - Same issue.
  • Exiting Car Play back to the CUPRA menu and then back in temporarily sorts the problem.
  • When the screen goes weird, there is a massive lag introduced, as if it's run out of memory.
  • Reboots do not help. The problem comes back almost instantly.
  • Reboots of the phone also only temporarily solve the issue.
  • This issue DOES NOT happen with Apple Maps.
  • This issue DOES NOT happen with other cars (I shared a lift with a friend who has a Hyundai and their Waze did not do this once even on a 5hour trip).
  • I *Think* Waze uses Google Maps as the platform it build on, so this would make sense as to why this only happens in Google Maps and Waze.

Jan 5, 2023 4:09 PM in response to cristiandrg

I have a Tiguan 2022 model and the same pixelated issue. My current workaround is to zoom out of google maps a little every time I start up google maps:

1. If you’re getting directions to somewhere, enter the address first and choose your route. After that zoom out of the map a little
  2. If not getting directions, just zoom out of the map a little
  3. If the map becomes pixelated. Close out Apple CarPlay and get into the main car menu to reset the pixelation issue. And then repeat steps 1 or 2

Nov 15, 2022 4:08 AM in response to cristiandrg

Same thing is happening on my 2021 Arteon, started happening 2 weeks ago with IOS 15..

Just updated to the latest IOS- still the same, the position of the car in google maps way off, map very laggy and after about 10 minutes the screen goes pixelated, unusable...

It happens on both Iphone 13mini and Iphone SE2020.

Updated iOS just now to the latest 16.1.1 but no joy..

Pixelated screen using Apple CarPlay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.