Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phobio damaged my 2017 MacBook Pro, now what?

On Apple’s website my 2017 MacBook Pro trade in value was quoted at $240. Not great, but probably better than the trouble of listing it myself. So I readied my computer, which was in near-new condition with nothing wrong with it, put it in their shipping box and sent it in.

About 10 days later I get an email from Apple saying their “trades in partner” has revised its offer. Instead of $240, it was now $0.00. The reason for the change was “lcd bleed.” This is outrageous. My MacBook was in perfect shape when I sent it to them. Now, having received my pro back, I turned it on and, low and behold, the screen is now messed up. I can’t even pass the cursor over the distortion to use the thing. They either sent me back an entirely different machine or they basically broke it. Either way I’m left with less than nothing because I can’t even sell it on my own. Having refused the offer I called and complained to Apple customer service. I was instructed to send it back in and they would update my account accordingly. So I did that, and now 10 or so days later I get a “revised quote” of —you guessed it—$0.00. Same reason given.

What is my recourse here? This has to reflect poorly on Apple. It makes me livid, frankly. Am I now stuck in a lousy “their word or mine” dispute?

Scott

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 8:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2022 8:35 AM

long_stanza wrote:

On Apple’s website my 2017 MacBook Pro trade in value was quoted at $240. Not great, but probably better than the trouble of listing it myself.

You are always better off selling it yourself if $$ is the goal.

Trade in partners are third party— I don't see any recourse other than refusing the trade in and have it sent back.

you can submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

Contact the corporate office Contact - How to Contact Us - Apple

there should be no doubt it is the same machine...(?)

serial number can be verified—

if in doubt about the serial number of your Mac look at the list of your devices here:

My Support - Official Apple Support

click in a few after the jump

—bottom case has the serial number printed on it

—>About this Mac has serial number

—Terminal command-line looks at the logic board, copy and paste:

ioreg -l | awk -F\" ' /IOPlatformSerialNumber/ { print $4 } '

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2022 8:35 AM in response to long_stanza

long_stanza wrote:

On Apple’s website my 2017 MacBook Pro trade in value was quoted at $240. Not great, but probably better than the trouble of listing it myself.

You are always better off selling it yourself if $$ is the goal.

Trade in partners are third party— I don't see any recourse other than refusing the trade in and have it sent back.

you can submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

Contact the corporate office Contact - How to Contact Us - Apple

there should be no doubt it is the same machine...(?)

serial number can be verified—

if in doubt about the serial number of your Mac look at the list of your devices here:

My Support - Official Apple Support

click in a few after the jump

—bottom case has the serial number printed on it

—>About this Mac has serial number

—Terminal command-line looks at the logic board, copy and paste:

ioreg -l | awk -F\" ' /IOPlatformSerialNumber/ { print $4 } '

Phobio damaged my 2017 MacBook Pro, now what?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.