You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air 2017 Component Failure (Crap Logic Board)

I bought a MacBook Air Laptop (2017 Model) on 12 July 2019 from iStore South Africa for ZAR13,999. This laptop has been used for lighter things like web browsing and safekeeping of documents and also it was used for at most 3 times a month because I am not a heavy user. The laptop then just stopped working in February 2021 (19 months after purchase) and I send it for assessment at iStore South Africa. They said it was component failure and they gave me a quote to repair of ZAR9,151 which is 65% of the cost price. And they indicated that they needed to replace the entire logic board. I inquired with them what had caused the fault. They indicated that they could not specify what caused the fault as there

was no evidence of lightening/ power surge, physical or liquid damage and therefore they have

deemed it as component failure. How on Earth can a Manufacturer not have any idea of what caused the failure of their so called premier product that they manufacturer? They said I have to bear the cost of repair because the product is out of their 1 year warranty period. I told them that their assessment outcome clearly shows that I did not damage the laptop but rather they sold me a defective product. To be frank I just realised that MacBook is just crap and just a name, nothing really special about it. This is clear because they could not specify what caused the fault as there was no evidence of lightening/ power surge, physical or liquid damage. Now I am just keeping that failed product in my storage room hoping that one day they are going to realise that they need to call back and replace their failed product. For now I have decided to Dell for my computer gadget and from what I have experienced so far they have much better products and care for their customers and they even gave me 3 year warrant period for the Dell Monitor and Dell Laptop that I bought because they believe their product is the best and therefore not stealing from us like the so called Apple. These are some of the pictures of the MacBook Air which is fairly new but it's total crap inside

MacBook Air

Posted on Mar 21, 2022 1:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2022 5:18 AM

They indicated that they could not specify what caused the fault as there
was no evidence of lightening/ power surge, physical or liquid damage and therefore they have
deemed it as component failure.

There are at least two reasons failures are generally not diagnosed to the component level.

It is nearly impossible to identify a specific component that needs to be replaced without using a dedicated machine designed for that exact logic board. Those machines are only used in production facilities. They are extremely expensive, and are very few in number. A production logic board that fails those initial tests is not repaired; the industry standard to discard it.

Your question seems to imply Apple might be able to identifying the specific component or components that have failed, presumably followed by replacing them. Modern digital electronic designs are not conducive to that kind of repair. To attempt it is extremely labor-intensive and prohibitively expensive. The particular component(s) that have failed may no longer be obtainable anyway.

Given those alternatives, replacing the logic board is the only practicable solution.

No other product manufacturer does things any differently.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 21, 2022 5:18 AM in response to ngonidzashe209

They indicated that they could not specify what caused the fault as there
deemed it as component failure.

There are at least two reasons failures are generally not diagnosed to the component level.

It is nearly impossible to identify a specific component that needs to be replaced without using a dedicated machine designed for that exact logic board. Those machines are only used in production facilities. They are extremely expensive, and are very few in number. A production logic board that fails those initial tests is not repaired; the industry standard to discard it.

Your question seems to imply Apple might be able to identifying the specific component or components that have failed, presumably followed by replacing them. Modern digital electronic designs are not conducive to that kind of repair. To attempt it is extremely labor-intensive and prohibitively expensive. The particular component(s) that have failed may no longer be obtainable anyway.

Given those alternatives, replacing the logic board is the only practicable solution.

No other product manufacturer does things any differently.

Mar 21, 2022 5:41 AM in response to John Galt

Thank you for the explanation but all you said still does not make sense to a customer who was handling his MacBook Air with extra care and did not contribute to that component failure by any physical damage or accidentally spilling water on to the laptop. If Apple does care about their customers then for those circumstances they should consider repairing the laptop for free to make the customer happy because right now I am one of those customers who is not happy and I do not trust Apple products anymore. Recently my Dell Monitor stopped working and they sent me a replacement unit without going through all this that I went through with Apple. And a lot of customers have complained about this component failure issue and Apple is good at ignoring customers and busy enjoying profits from disgruntled customers.

Mar 21, 2022 7:53 AM in response to ngonidzashe209

ngonidzashe209 wrote:

Thank you for the explanation but all you said still does not make sense to a customer who was handling his MacBook Air with extra care and did not contribute to that component failure by any physical damage or accidentally spilling water on to the laptop. If Apple does care about their customers then for those circumstances they should consider repairing the laptop for free to make the customer happy because right now I am one of those customers who is not happy and I do not trust Apple products anymore. Recently my Dell Monitor stopped working and they sent me a replacement unit without going through all this that I went through with Apple. And a lot of customers have complained about this component failure issue and Apple is good at ignoring customers and busy enjoying profits from disgruntled customers.

What do you do when anything fails? Electrical devices fail. Do you complain about the manufacturer, the manufacturing process, the design, and customer support? Do you demand free replacements? I know I'd be happy if nothing ever failed but that is not reality. If your computer failed during its warranty period it would have been replaced. If you bought an extended warranty it would have been replaced.

Dell makes good products. If you are happier with Dell products please buy one. But if a Dell logic board component fails outside the warranty period, Dell will not repair the logic board or replace the computer for free.

Some Apple customers must be happy. Apple is a $T company. So they must be doing something right.

MacBook Air 2017 Component Failure (Crap Logic Board)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.