Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to sort photos within the library

how do I sort photos to different locations within the photo library?

iMac, macOS 10.12

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 4:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 7:36 PM

horst32 wrote:

You want to sort based on location, or to group photos into different "folders"?

If you want to sort based on location taken, there is this "Places" option where it will sort photos based on location taken.

If want to group into folders, you may create folders in "My Albums", and within the folder create "Albums" and start populating.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2022 7:36 PM in response to horst32

horst32 wrote:

You want to sort based on location, or to group photos into different "folders"?

If you want to sort based on location taken, there is this "Places" option where it will sort photos based on location taken.

If want to group into folders, you may create folders in "My Albums", and within the folder create "Albums" and start populating.

Oct 1, 2022 5:13 PM in response to horst32

Photos are sorted by albums, smart albums and keywords. In the photos library itself, one is not able manually to move the thumbnails. Here's a link to the Photos user guide:

Create albums in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

However, you could place all of the library photos into an album and manually move them within the album. At least, I tried in using Photos 4 and it worked.

-- Rich

how to sort photos within the library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.