Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS Search Issues

Late 2015 iMac running OS 12.6. When I upgraded to 12.6, the search functions started acting strange, giving only partial searches. I rebuilt the index both manually and via the terminal. I stopped the SystemUIServer (23392) process via Activity monitor and did all the things mentioned on the forums and on-line community forums. All of this resulted in some improvements, but there were still many files and folders that are on my drive that won't show up in a search (either Spotlight or Command F). Then search stopped working altogether in Notes. Every search would return an empty result. Quittong the SystemUIServer (23392) did fix this issue (so far). All this happened after upgrading to Monterey. Any known issues like this with the upgrade?

iMac 27″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 2, 2022 6:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2022 5:08 AM

Steve Tuckerman wrote:

Late 2015 iMac running OS 12.6. When I upgraded to 12.6, the search functions started acting strange, giving only partial searches.

I rebuilt the index both manually and via the terminal. I stopped the SystemUIServer (23392) process via Activity monitor and did all the things mentioned on the forums and on-line community forums. All of this resulted in some improvements, but there were still many files and folders that are on my drive that won't show up in a search (either Spotlight or Command F). Then search stopped working altogether in Notes. Every search would return an empty result. Quittong the SystemUIServer (23392) did fix this issue (so far).

All this happened after upgrading to Monterey. Any known issues like this with the upgrade?

Check your Spotlight preferences>'Search Results' and verify all are checked, and Privacy list (?)

>System Preferences>Spotlight

try again rebuilding Spotlight— best approach— drag and drop the Macintosh HD

ref:

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2022 5:08 AM in response to Steve Tuckerman

Steve Tuckerman wrote:

Late 2015 iMac running OS 12.6. When I upgraded to 12.6, the search functions started acting strange, giving only partial searches.

I rebuilt the index both manually and via the terminal. I stopped the SystemUIServer (23392) process via Activity monitor and did all the things mentioned on the forums and on-line community forums. All of this resulted in some improvements, but there were still many files and folders that are on my drive that won't show up in a search (either Spotlight or Command F). Then search stopped working altogether in Notes. Every search would return an empty result. Quittong the SystemUIServer (23392) did fix this issue (so far).

All this happened after upgrading to Monterey. Any known issues like this with the upgrade?

Check your Spotlight preferences>'Search Results' and verify all are checked, and Privacy list (?)

>System Preferences>Spotlight

try again rebuilding Spotlight— best approach— drag and drop the Macintosh HD

ref:

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

Mac OS Search Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.