Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forgetting a wi-fi network on iPhone 12

Recently, a wi-fi network I've never connected to has appeared under the My Networks heading in Settings > Wi-Fi. I have no idea how it got there, since I've never connected to it. I don't recognize the network name.

The Forget This Network option doesn't show up on the network's information page. I've read that I can forget a network only if it's one I've connected to in the past. This particular network is secured and I can't connect without a password, and since I've never connected to it, I don't have the password.

Is there some way I can convince my iPhone to forget this network? Thanks in advance.

iPhone 12, 15

Posted on Oct 2, 2022 9:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2022 11:40 PM

If the password of said network is not in the information box you see by hitting the i with a circle around it and you are not being prompted to join the network, that could just be the nature of how Wi-Fi works. Nearly every Wi-Fi base station transmits its name “technically called bsid” when you are within range of a given Wi-Fi transmitting its bsid, you will see it and any other within range. There is nothing that can be forgotten to hide Wi-Fi bsid because it’s a live broadcast of its name.

if on the other hand despite communication settings being reset, autojoin Wi-Fi settings being off, undesired network forgotten, and no contradictory VPN configurations installed, you are getting prompted to join or actually joining this network, your phone is managed by a company, provider, institution, or hacker, and has a profile installed on it, schools love to do this and under some circumstances cell providers do this and can accidentally or intentionally block or lock certain settings.

if it’s not operating as designed and not any of the above, once in a blue moon I do see devices require a reinstall or even restore. This sort of thing is often best handled by going into an Apple Store and handing to a genius though if the phone has a profile that’s lawfully installed, they can not over ride it.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2022 11:40 PM in response to dick young1

If the password of said network is not in the information box you see by hitting the i with a circle around it and you are not being prompted to join the network, that could just be the nature of how Wi-Fi works. Nearly every Wi-Fi base station transmits its name “technically called bsid” when you are within range of a given Wi-Fi transmitting its bsid, you will see it and any other within range. There is nothing that can be forgotten to hide Wi-Fi bsid because it’s a live broadcast of its name.

if on the other hand despite communication settings being reset, autojoin Wi-Fi settings being off, undesired network forgotten, and no contradictory VPN configurations installed, you are getting prompted to join or actually joining this network, your phone is managed by a company, provider, institution, or hacker, and has a profile installed on it, schools love to do this and under some circumstances cell providers do this and can accidentally or intentionally block or lock certain settings.

if it’s not operating as designed and not any of the above, once in a blue moon I do see devices require a reinstall or even restore. This sort of thing is often best handled by going into an Apple Store and handing to a genius though if the phone has a profile that’s lawfully installed, they can not over ride it.

Oct 2, 2022 9:37 PM in response to dick young1

Go to “settings” then “WI-FI” while near undesired network. Once you see it come up in list, click the tiny info button that looks like an “i” in a circle that’s on the left of the network you want to forget. window will open with “FORGET NETWORK” in blue at the top. Hit it and the network is forgotten. That said, while in “WI-FI” look at the “ask to join” setting as that may be your issue as well. Good luck.

Forgetting a wi-fi network on iPhone 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.