Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Tabs

When I drag a Safari tab to create a new window it remains in the previous window but fades out like it's not active. So in the event, I close the tab out on the original window it closes it on the new window as well. I hope that makes sense. I keep multiple tabs open on Safari and never had this issue until recently.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 3, 2022 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2022 11:18 AM

I believe that this was broken in the 12.6 release. I am seeing the same problem in Safari version 16.0 (17614.1.29.9.10). It has been driving me crazy since I routinely move tabs to new windows or between windows. The following screen captures shows the outcome of dragging this tab from the parent to a new window. Both the new window and its shadow in the parent window will update when you toggle between them.

You will see a similar behavior when you drag tabs between windows. The difference in that case is that the tab title is empty in the new window. I am assuming that this is a defect that came out of the tab grouping changes recently introduced.

Tabs do not leave first window entirely a… - Apple Community seems to be the same issue.

38 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2022 11:18 AM in response to matthew8706

I believe that this was broken in the 12.6 release. I am seeing the same problem in Safari version 16.0 (17614.1.29.9.10). It has been driving me crazy since I routinely move tabs to new windows or between windows. The following screen captures shows the outcome of dragging this tab from the parent to a new window. Both the new window and its shadow in the parent window will update when you toggle between them.

You will see a similar behavior when you drag tabs between windows. The difference in that case is that the tab title is empty in the new window. I am assuming that this is a defect that came out of the tab grouping changes recently introduced.

Tabs do not leave first window entirely a… - Apple Community seems to be the same issue.

Oct 4, 2022 2:52 PM in response to matthew8706

I found this on reddit and it worked for me:

Close Safari and then open it back up again in safe mode (hold the Shift key while opening Safari).

Open a few tabs and drag one of them into a new window. The problem should go away now.

Close Safari and re-open as normal. Duplicating tabs should not happen anymore.

With credit to Kim at Apple Support.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Safari/comments/xrrdm4/comment/ir14ifa/

Jan 1, 2023 12:13 PM in response to matthew8706

I have been having this issue since the day I received my new M1 MacBook Pro in August. It appears that the issue has been fixed in Safari 16.2, but getting that update is a little easier said than done, especially if you don't want to upgrade to Ventura for some reason (for me, certain software is not yet guaranteed compatible in Ventura, so I am holding out). If you are still running Safari 16.0 and don't want to upgrade McOS to Ventura for some reason, you will not see available safari updates in the App Store nor in the software update tool in your system preferences. You can, however, update safari directly from the command line. Here are the steps:

1. Quit Safari
  2. Open Terminal
  3. type the following command: softwareupdate -l -a | grep Safari
  4. Press Enter
  5. You should get output that looks something like the following:

Label: Safari16.2MontereyAuto-16.2

Title: Safari, Version: 16.2, Size: 130909KiB, Recommended: YES

Once you have the output, you just need to follow the following steps:

1. type the following command: softwareupdate -i <TEXT OF LABEL>
  2. Given the output above, the command would be: softwareupdate -i Safari16.2MontereyAuto-16.2
  3. Press enter
  4. Done, Safari is now updated. Open safari and in the menu go to Safari>About Safari to confirm.

Once I did this and updated to 16.2, no more issues. I hope this helps!

Oct 13, 2022 3:46 PM in response to PeterG_

This may have fixed another issue I was having where I would drag a tab out of a window and it would disappear, and sometimes if I dragged it to an existing window with only one tab open, it wouldn't show the tab bar at the top, until I open a new tab in that window... Theres a lot of tab related issues in this update, can't believe it's still not working without doing this weird wonky workaround. But thanks so much for posting the solution, PeterG_, it was driving me bananas.

Oct 18, 2022 1:11 PM in response to matthew8706

I can confirm the same behavior:

#1 - If I pull the tab out of the window and drag to another window, it doesn't move. When I release the mouse, it simply goes back and acts like it was never moved.

#2 - If I pull the tab out of the window and drag to a new window, it creates the new window...but the original tab reappears in the old window. As soon as I click on the old window, the new window just created from the pulled tab disappears and it returns to the original window.

Closing and reopening Safari fixes it but, if you move between windows often, this happens several times during the day. It's very annoying.

-mitchel

Dec 2, 2022 1:56 PM in response to xander91107

I have wiped my Macbook Pro (M1, Max) and reinstalled everything, but the problem still persists -- macOS 13.0.1, Safari 16.1 (18614.2.9.1.12). Do not follow their guides. Such a waste of time. Safari Tab management has been infected by a bug since the previous version of macOS (version 12), but no one at Apple has acknowledged it. I have another Mac (Air, M1), and the same problem appears there as well. Let's take a look at what will be happening in Safari 16.2.

Dec 5, 2022 12:59 PM in response to xander91107

That's often the support solution for almost anything. I've had minor issues and they told me to not only re-install macOS but re-install all of my apple devices and after I did that, because it takes so long, I've been talking to someone else from Apple support and told them I just did that and they'll just tell me to re-install macOS again.

They'll just tell you to re-install macOS in an endless loop or find any deviation from the standard test case so they can't help you (once I was using a non-apple Monitor on my Mac Pro and they told me to talk to DELL support instead even though I had a graphics issue with macOS).

Either way, back to the topic: The solution with the safe mode (hold shift when starting safari, open some tabs, pull out a tab, close safari) seems to have fixed that for me for now. This issue was driving me absolutely nuts. :)

Safari Tabs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.