Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tabs do not leave first window entirely anymore

When I take a tab out into its own separate window, it kind of stays in the first window. When I attempt to close it in the first window, it gets closed in its own window. This has never happened before!

Also when I attempt to reopen the closed tab it starts opening untitled tabs. And if I attempt to close it, it creates more, more and MORE of those more I click the "close" button.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 3, 2022 8:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2022 2:51 PM

I found this on reddit and it worked for me:

1. Close Safari and then open it back up again in safe mode (hold the Shift key while opening Safari).
  2. Open a few tabs and drag one of them into a new window. The problem should go away now.
  3. Close Safari and re-open as normal. Duplicating tabs should not happen anymore.

With credit to Kim at Apple Support.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Safari/comments/xrrdm4/comment/ir14ifa/

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2022 2:51 PM in response to RaxGhost

I found this on reddit and it worked for me:

1. Close Safari and then open it back up again in safe mode (hold the Shift key while opening Safari).
  2. Open a few tabs and drag one of them into a new window. The problem should go away now.
  3. Close Safari and re-open as normal. Duplicating tabs should not happen anymore.

With credit to Kim at Apple Support.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Safari/comments/xrrdm4/comment/ir14ifa/

Tabs do not leave first window entirely anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.