Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hulu disappeared from Apple TV 3rd generation

Hulu has just disappeared from the Main Menu of my Apple TV 3rd generation. Since I can't access the App Store on a gen 3, I can't find it to put it back. It was originally pre-loaded, and I've watched it for year; but now it just disappeared. I've tried both update and restart.

Apple TV App,

Posted on Oct 3, 2022 9:58 PM

40 replies

Nov 18, 2022 6:53 PM in response to SCRAP KING

SCRAP KING wrote:

I literally purchased an Apple TV HD a few weeks ago and discovered tonight I have to stream from my laptop. I'm pretty sure that means I am powering two devices to watch a piece of multimedia designed to be "seen anywhere". Why have an App on the App Store but make the Apple TV a gateway burdened by only promoting it's content?

No offense but, if you can't run the Hulu app from your current ATV, either it doesn't work right or you don't understand how it works.

You might want to start here:

Apple TV - Official Apple Support

Oct 4, 2022 12:04 PM in response to Dave__G

Dave__G wrote:

This is ridiculous. It worked for years and now it is just gone. This is not an advancement in technology.

You have a device that was released 10 years ago and uses a discontinued operating system. Over the last few years, more and more companies have been dropping support for the Apple TV 3. Hulu stuck it out for longer than some others.

https://help.hulu.com/s/article/supported-apple-tv

Oct 4, 2022 3:06 PM in response to sabine265

sabine265 wrote:

My Hulu app disappeared yesterday too from my 3rd gen Apple TV also! So frustrating as I've used it for years. Not thrilled about having to buy another apple TV or a Roku just to get it back. Why would they do this?

Companies do this because they don't want to sink the resources into maintaining their apps for very old operating systems. And, in some cases, it may not even be possible. The way their app works may require features that the older operating system doesn't have. In many cases, older operating systems are not considered secure enough.

Oct 4, 2022 6:48 PM in response to CloudyinAK

No notice!!

Last night spend an hour restarting, unplugging three Apple TVs and wireless router.

Tonight used Hulu chat. Never got past #85 before they claimed connection issues and started back at 99+.

Called, waited 17 minutes before the agent answered, they couldn't hear me and hung up.

Hulu has no concept of customer service. Outraged with no way to reach Hulu to express it.

Oct 6, 2022 6:15 PM in response to GeauxTigers17

GeauxTigers17 wrote:

Do you know if I have to buy a whole new apple 📺 or just a new box

I'm sorry but that question doesn't make sense. And "Apple TV" is sometimes referred to as a "box". And, it comes in a box. You don't need to buy a new television, although, if you do, it may be able to stream Hulu without any additional hardware.

If you want to stream Hulu, you will need a device that supports it. That might be a new Apple TV device, or something made by Roku or Amazon, perhaps. Or, you could buy a new smart TV. That, however, would bet the most expensive option.

Oct 8, 2022 10:56 AM in response to mandyfromarlington

mandyfromarlington wrote:

Hulu said it wasn’t them, it is Apple who is forcing the consumer to purchase newer devices. Sad thing is, why should loyal customers upgrade when the device is still in perfect working condition. Or at least give us the option to trade with a reasonable value.

Of course, Hulu said that. The bottom line is that Hulu doesn't want to keep spending money on maintaining a software/service on an operating system that is over ten years old and radically different than the current ATV OS. It doesn't make good business sense.

All hardware eventually stops being supported. And, it generally has very little value at that point. However, Apple will recycle things for you.

Nov 2, 2022 6:35 AM in response to bigred_135

bigred_135 wrote:

Sounds more like a way for apple to force consumers to buy the “latest and greatest” appletv. A lot like removing the headphone jack on iPhone to boost iPhone sales.

Except it's Hulu that pulled support, not Apple.

How did removing the headphone jack boost sales? Were there suddenly lots of people who felt ashamed to have a phone with an extra hole and ran out and bought new ones? Apple removed the headphone jack to free up space for other things. And, in fact, lots of people complained about it initially.

Nov 8, 2022 6:23 AM in response to Joy4159

I'm not sure what you hope to gain by speaking to Hulu. They've dropped support for obsolete hardware. It's unlikely that there are anywhere near enough ATV 3 owners in the world to mount a successful campaign to cause them to reverse this decision.

However, if you log in on this page, you can get contact information:

https://help.hulu.com/s/

Hulu disappeared from Apple TV 3rd generation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.