Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes - everything in iCloud. none On My Mac.

I have 766 records in my Notes in iCloud. I have 0 records On My Mac.

I would like to have a copy of my Notes On My Mac. while I can access the Notes records that is in iCloud, I cannot do a Search in the iCloud.

how do I get a copy of my Notes On My Mac, while still retaining a backup on iCloud?

Posted on Oct 4, 2022 11:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2022 1:40 AM

Sign in to iCloud on all your devices - Apple Support (CA) which appears the user has already done - right ?

And Notes Application is enabled to Sync with iCloud from Internet Accounts >> iCloud - right ?

refer below image

When the computer is using and syncing to iCloud ( Conduit ), copies of the files in iCloud are also on the computer.

That is so when Internet Connections are Not available, the user can continue to work on the Notes and once Internet Connection is re-established, the changes are uploaded to iCloud.

Suggestion to Test for your comfort level, disconnect from Internet and open the Notes Application.

Make a minor change to 1 Note.

Reconnect to Internet and it should sync to iCloud

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2022 1:40 AM in response to ae58

Sign in to iCloud on all your devices - Apple Support (CA) which appears the user has already done - right ?

And Notes Application is enabled to Sync with iCloud from Internet Accounts >> iCloud - right ?

refer below image

When the computer is using and syncing to iCloud ( Conduit ), copies of the files in iCloud are also on the computer.

That is so when Internet Connections are Not available, the user can continue to work on the Notes and once Internet Connection is re-established, the changes are uploaded to iCloud.

Suggestion to Test for your comfort level, disconnect from Internet and open the Notes Application.

Make a minor change to 1 Note.

Reconnect to Internet and it should sync to iCloud

Oct 5, 2022 6:11 AM in response to ae58

ae58 wrote:

I have 766 records in my Notes in iCloud. I have 0 records On My Mac.

would like to have a copy of my Notes On My Mac.

That's not what the above statement means. Everything on iCloud is also stored locally. The On My Mac "account" is only local storage. The iCloud storage is on iCloud and also locally stored.

how do I get a copy of my Notes On My Mac, while still retaining a backup on iCloud?

You already have that.

while I can access the Notes records that is in iCloud, I cannot do a Search in the iCloud.

Can you explain how you are searching. You should be able to find notes through a search regardless of where they are stored.

This appears to be the problem, not the fact that your notes are not stored "On My Mac."

Maybe try reindexing Spotlight.

Oct 5, 2022 2:47 AM in response to PRP_53

thank you for your reply P. Philips.

1. iCloud syncing was on.
  2. "Enable the On My Mac account" was enabled.
  3. I tried unchecking then checking the "Enable the On My Mac account" checkbox. Nada.

as I mentioned to picas, after Duplicating all 768 records once, then trying it again (thereby ending up with 3072), I decided to manually delete 2 copies of each record then manually select the remaining 768 duplicate records then manually moving them to the Notes "On My Mac".

Oct 5, 2022 1:26 AM in response to picas

I did as you instructed.

and ended up with 3 duplicates of every record in my Notes. which I had to manually delete (2 copies) and manually move to On My Mac. all 768 records.

are you sure you meant "Control" and not "Command"? take note that I was going to "Duplicate Notes" using the Mouse, not the Keyboard.

Notes - everything in iCloud. none On My Mac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.