Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i stop finder windows from opening in a new tab

I do not want new windows to open in tab view, it makes them impossible to transfer anything from one to the other.

I have unchecked "Open folders in tabs instead of new windows"

yet it persists, do i need to reboot, which i dread or ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021, 2 ports)

Posted on Oct 5, 2022 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2022 4:37 PM

Hello Chris Winkler1,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If we understand correctly, you are trying to have new windows in Safari on your iMac to not open in tabs. To do this, please go to the Safari menu > Preferences > Tabs and make sure "Open pages in tabs instead of windows" is set to "Never". This will help with determining if everything is set up properly.

Here is more info: Change Tabs preferences in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Cheers!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2022 4:37 PM in response to Chris Winkler1

Hello Chris Winkler1,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If we understand correctly, you are trying to have new windows in Safari on your iMac to not open in tabs. To do this, please go to the Safari menu > Preferences > Tabs and make sure "Open pages in tabs instead of windows" is set to "Never". This will help with determining if everything is set up properly.

Here is more info: Change Tabs preferences in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Cheers!

How do i stop finder windows from opening in a new tab

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.