Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Paragraph spacing in Pages 12.1

I need to change the spaces between my paragraphs, not just the line spacing but between paragraphs. I can do that in Pages 10.1 and all previous versions of Pages but cannot find how to do it in Pages 12.1? Am I missing something or has it been removed from the programme, which would be an enormous shame? I am using an iMac Monterey 12.6 if that is relevant. Thanks

iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021, 2 ports)

Posted on Oct 6, 2022 4:58 AM

7 replies

Oct 6, 2022 6:16 AM in response to Zannefin

On Pages v12.1, place the insertion beam after the current paragraph and then adjust the After Paragraph spacing to increase the gap. This will not alter the spacing in the paragraph body text but will open up the inter-paragraph space.

To avoid any clutter of carriage returns following a given paragraph, I would enable View menu > Show Invisibles and backspace the next paragraph until its text follows the prior paragraph, and then insert one carriage return before making that After Paragraph adjustment.

You will need to perform the After Paragraph adjustment behind each paragraph where you seek larger spacing as there is no automatic setting for this feature.

Oct 6, 2022 7:10 AM in response to VikingOSX

I thought I would add that for those starting out in a new document without any paragraphs, one can set the After Paragraph to the desired inter-paragraph spacing prior to adding body text, and pressing a single return after each new paragraph will result in that After Paragraph spacing.

One can open a blank template and set the After Paragraph amount and save it as a new template. The use of that template will retain the After Paragraph setting in the new document content.

Oct 6, 2022 7:18 AM in response to VikingOSX

Hi and thank you for taking the time to reply. I don't know if it is me but I cannot see 'paragraph spacing' anywhere. Is it because I am looking in the wrong place under 'spacing' where it has always resided? I have looked everywhere else but cannot see the option. I have a million words to archive so I am seeking to reduce the document sizes by reducing the gaps between the paragraphs, I was hoping to do that in the style sheets and save some trees.

I can revert to my old computer to do this but I suppose I cannot believe such a useful feature would be discontinued.

Again, thank you. It did send me off to pull down all available menus but without luck.

Paragraph spacing in Pages 12.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.