Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB not recognized

Hi! I am a new Mac user (but not new to Apple- we have iPhones/iPads etc)

I have a MacBook Pro (2019 I believe)

I bought this used in excellent condition. I bought with it a Totu hub. Everything was working fine until a couple weeks ago. Then the Hub stopped being recognized. I mainly needed my eternal hard drive- so i got an adapter that is usb to usb-c and plugged it in and it is not picking up either. I know the ports work because it does provide power to said devices- but not recognizing them. Tried multiple usb devices- all power but none will be recognized by the computer. I searched all the Apple forums and such and tried everything suggested with no luck. I thought it was an update in Monterrey- but seemed varied in which one was causing the issue for different people.

Is there anything I can do? Any workaround? i really just need my external hard drive- but would like for the whole hub to work as well. All my work is on this drive and I need to be working but I cannot if i cant access it.

I cannot reinstall anything that uses a usb drive- as the computer will not recognize USB at all. I am stuck.

Please Help!!!

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 16″, 13.0

Posted on Oct 6, 2022 4:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2022 8:18 AM

Hi,

Following article could help your issue.

If a USB device doesn’t work with Mac - Apple Support

If it doesn't help, contact Apple Support or take your MacBook Pro to your local retail AppleStore, Genius Bar or Apple Authorized Service Provider to be examined your MacBook Pro there.

Official Apple Support

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Find Locations - Apple

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2022 8:18 AM in response to tarabruner

Hi,

Following article could help your issue.

If a USB device doesn’t work with Mac - Apple Support

If it doesn't help, contact Apple Support or take your MacBook Pro to your local retail AppleStore, Genius Bar or Apple Authorized Service Provider to be examined your MacBook Pro there.

Official Apple Support

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Find Locations - Apple

Oct 6, 2022 6:36 AM in response to tarabruner

tarabruner wrote:

Hi! I am a new Mac user (but not new to Apple- we have iPhones/iPads etc)
I have a MacBook Pro (2019 I believe)
I bought this used in excellent condition. I bought with it a Totu hub. Everything was working fine until a couple weeks ago. Then the Hub stopped being recognized. I mainly needed my eternal hard drive- so i got an adapter that is usb to usb-c and plugged it in and it is not picking up either. I know the ports work because it does provide power to said devices- but not recognizing them. Tried multiple usb devices- all power but none will be recognized by the computer. I searched all the Apple forums and such and tried everything suggested with no luck. I thought it was an update in Monterrey- but seemed varied in which one was causing the issue for different people.

Is there anything I can do? Any workaround? i really just need my external hard drive- but would like for the whole hub to work as well. All my work is on this drive and I need to be working but I cannot if i cant access it.

I cannot reinstall anything that uses a usb drive- as the computer will not recognize USB at all. I am stuck.
Please Help!!!

[Edited by Moderator]

On a Intel Mac try both—

resetting the SMC Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support see the details.

resetting NVRAM/PRAM Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

(get at least two-three rounds of the chimes when holding the NRAM Reset)

USB not recognized

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.