Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do the Apple TV settings still say press MENU for Accessibility when remote has no MENU button

I just went through and adjusted the settings on my Apple TV 4K (1st Gen) including adding an accessibility feature. The AppleTV OS 16.0 tells me under Accessibility Shortcut that "To access Accessibility options, press Menu three times."

That's great. I know where the Menu button is on my Siri remote... wait a minute! There is no Menu button on my replacement Siri remote!!! The Siri remote (the black one) that came with my ATV stopped working so I had to go buy a new Siri remote (silver with Siri button on the side) and it doesn't have a Menu button.

So what do I press three times? Or am I supposed to click my heels three times and wish for an upgrade to OS 16.0 that tells users what to do with the remote control the user has? My Siri remote works even if not pointed at the ATV so the ATV must know what device is telling it to play or select or whatever. Its not just doing some command coming from a random IR remote that it might not be able to determine its origin. But if its connecting over network access or bluetooth or whatever fancy non-IR way it uses doesn't it need to be paired first? Doesn't the ATV know what it is communicating with? Because I don't know where the Menu button is on my Apple TV Sir Remote!?!

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Oct 6, 2022 10:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2022 1:23 PM

The Menu button on the Siri Remote (1st generation) and the “<” Back button on the Siri Remote (2nd generation) function exactly the same.

Siri Remote at a glance - Apple TV user guide - Apple Support

To access Accessibility settings, go through the Settings app.

Triple-click Menu (or triple-click “<” Back) invokes the Accessibility Shortcut (on|off) of pre-selected accessibility functions.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2022 1:23 PM in response to smartishhome240

The Menu button on the Siri Remote (1st generation) and the “<” Back button on the Siri Remote (2nd generation) function exactly the same.

Siri Remote at a glance - Apple TV user guide - Apple Support

To access Accessibility settings, go through the Settings app.

Triple-click Menu (or triple-click “<” Back) invokes the Accessibility Shortcut (on|off) of pre-selected accessibility functions.

Why do the Apple TV settings still say press MENU for Accessibility when remote has no MENU button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.