Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you get past the "Welcome" screen setting up a new Mac Mini without a wired mouse?

I just purchased a "renewed" Mac Mini 2018 to use as a server for time machine backups on our network.

When I started up the mac for the first time it wouldn't recognize any of my bluetooth input devices. I plugged in a wired USB keyboard but it doesn't let me get to the "Continue" button on the welcome screen..

I monkey'd around with the Voice non-sense that shows up on that screen but can't figure it out.

Anyone know if there are keyboard combinations to get around this navigation problem?

Posted on Oct 6, 2022 1:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2022 8:42 AM

I figured this out through trial and error !! Seems like a common problem so will share what I figured out. First of all, I am using a wired (MacAlley) USB keyboard.

To move around the page to various windows and buttons hold down "control and option" keys then hit "tab" key until you get where you're going.

To "push" a selected button, like (next, back, continue) hold down the "command" (cmd) key and hit the spacebar. Obviously this is after you have it highlighted by tabbing around the page.

This is kind of a pain but once you get used to it (three or four screens in) it starts feeling better. I was able to get through the entire set up process without a mouse.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2022 8:42 AM in response to PBFTom

I figured this out through trial and error !! Seems like a common problem so will share what I figured out. First of all, I am using a wired (MacAlley) USB keyboard.

To move around the page to various windows and buttons hold down "control and option" keys then hit "tab" key until you get where you're going.

To "push" a selected button, like (next, back, continue) hold down the "command" (cmd) key and hit the spacebar. Obviously this is after you have it highlighted by tabbing around the page.

This is kind of a pain but once you get used to it (three or four screens in) it starts feeling better. I was able to get through the entire set up process without a mouse.

How do you get past the "Welcome" screen setting up a new Mac Mini without a wired mouse?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.