Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My battery drains a bit when it is sleeping, is this normal?

My battery was plugged in at 100%, and I closed the lid for about an hour and a half. When I came back, the battery was at 97%. Is this normal? (BTW mac is usually unplugged while in sleep mode :)

• (remaining battery capacity - 82% with 1270 cycles) (yes I know that is a lot of cycles, but I'm fine with its current capacity.)

I don't want to know what has been draining my mac while sleeping because, well, it is sleeping, not shut down, but if this type of drain is abnormal or it is draining abnormally, then I would want to know. But of course, it probably does drain the battery while sleeping.

But I just want to know if this is expected behavior and if I should be concerned.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 6, 2022 10:58 PM

4 replies

Oct 6, 2022 11:10 PM in response to muguy

Heh, Thanks!

I was getting a bit worried there. Thanks for letting me know.

To be safe, I'd rather not leave it plugged in overnight. Because not only is the drain negligible most of the time, but I believe it's only useless to keep it plugged in when you are not using it. Because unless I'm doing something that drains my battery or am just using my mac. there isn't really a reason to keep it plugged in if you are not going to use the laptop for more than an hour.

My battery drains a bit when it is sleeping, is this normal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.