Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using MS Exchange 365 with the Apple Mail App iPhone 14 Pro APPLE PLEASE FIX THE SOFTWARE

This is a follow up post. I have used MS Exchange 365 as my mail server with previous iPhones and iPads for years. Currently the Apple Mail app works just fine with Exchange on my iPhone 12P and iPad Pro (neither of which have been updated yet to iOS 16). However, the Apple Mail app is not interoperating properly with the MS Exchange 365 server. I tried both methods for connecting the Apple Mail app to the Exchange server (entering email address and password for the automatic connect and the manual connect which points to the correct server). The connection does in fact connect with both methods. However, new mails do NOT update on the app and outgoing mails do not work. My other Apple devices work perfectly. Also, the MS Outlook App on the iPhone works perfectly. I even now tried wiping the new iPhone 14 Pro and doing a full re-install of the OS to original factory and the same behavior continues. The re-install shows that the problem was not caused by a faulty install of the app. So here is where we are. Obviously, Apple has revised the Mail app in the new iOS software as it has functionality that was not there before. It seems that when Apple changed the Mail app it created an incompatibility with Exchange. APPLE, PLEASE DO AN UPDATE AND FIX THE MAIL APP!!!!!!! By the way I confirmed with MS that they have done nothing to change Exchange 365, so it is not the fault of MS. Fortunately for the moment the Outlook app for the phone is working 100% correctly with no problems.

Posted on Oct 7, 2022 10:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2022 6:11 AM

I'm in the same boat. I find that after a few days, the "link" between my Apple Mail and the Exchange servers freeze up somehow. Every week or two I have to delete the account from my iMac. Then add that account back. It works for a few weeks. Then repeat. Very frustrating. Actually considering switching over to the Outlook App for my mail, but I have decades of client mail in my Apple Mail app and switching over would be a pain.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2022 6:11 AM in response to jkingston

I'm in the same boat. I find that after a few days, the "link" between my Apple Mail and the Exchange servers freeze up somehow. Every week or two I have to delete the account from my iMac. Then add that account back. It works for a few weeks. Then repeat. Very frustrating. Actually considering switching over to the Outlook App for my mail, but I have decades of client mail in my Apple Mail app and switching over would be a pain.

Oct 12, 2022 9:31 AM in response to jkingston

As of October 12th. Apple Mail is not officially supported

Microsoft does not support Apple Mail for use with Office 365 accounts which often results in significant limitations of functionality. This is do to the fact that apple is not using modern authentication methods and still uses older unsecure authentication methods for Apple mail.

You can try and remove and readd the accounts inside the mail app, This works sometimes but can be limited.

Oct 12, 2022 9:39 AM in response to DataProtectGroup

Well that explains things. However, I now find that Apple mail is working with Exchange 365. Hope it continues. Just to be safe, I also have the MS Outlook mail client on my iPhone 14 Pro, so if compatibility breaks again, I will still have a functioning mail client on the phone. I suspected that either MS or Apple was to blame for the problem. Now I am of the mind that both are to blame. Come on guys, the victims here are your customers.

Nov 9, 2022 11:19 PM in response to jkingston

Unfortunately since the update of the Microsoft Exchange servers in Summer 2022, the Apple App MAIL does not work properly any more due to incompatibility in security with the new Outlook 365 system. I could not find any way to fix the problem (which consists in the impossibility to Sync all my devices which worked with Apple Mail, consisting in an iMac working with OS Monterey 12.0, MacBook Air with OS 11.6 and iPhone 11Pro Max with OS 14). I tried everything (reinstalling everything included).

I called my IT system at the University of Bologna and Apple Care and they both confirmed there is no solution until Microsoft will update its software (this is what Apple care told me), which may or may not take place. Therefore I was forced to move my computer mail app to Outlook Legacy (as Outlook 365 only displays the mails of the last couple of weeks) which is terrible compared to Mail, expecially in the search function. I could keep Mail on my phone. Unfortunately there is no better solution. I wish Apple could make a deal with Microsoft soon to fix this problem, which is making other user in my University moving from Apple systems to Microsoft systems.... I pity, a real step back after so many years, as I have been using Apple computers since 1991.

Nov 10, 2022 6:30 AM in response to fabio.piscaglia

I've been experimenting for a couple of weeks now, but may have found a solution. Previously, I was viewing my Exchange mail with Apple's Mail app and moving messages to folders on my local computer. I noticed this is where the sync errors generally happened, so instead of saving them locally, I made folders on the Exchange server and move them there (all still from the Apple Mail app).

Syncing is working fine. Knock on wood. No problems so far. Of course, I now have two sets of client folders (one local and one on the Exchange server) which makes searching for older messages a little more difficult, but over time this will sort itself out. I archive old (more than a few years) to cold storage (Blueray DVDs) to free up HD space. I'm sure I can still do this when my Exchange account starts to fill up.

Nov 17, 2022 6:31 AM in response to jkingston

Ever since switching to Office 365 and using Exchange with Apple mail on my up-to-date OS-X MacBook, I have had difficulties. As others say, my iOS devices work find even using the Apple mail app with Exchange. On OS-X searching my mail broke completely for a while (this eventually was sorted, and is discussed in other threads). But it seems that spotlight is slow to sync, as nd indexing(?) even slower making it fail in searches of recent messages. (MS Outlook is Outrageously bad in its aggressive spam filtering- I initially lost critical messages, like the last communication with my Ph.D advisor before he passed away, and a time critical communication with a vendor in Japan). So I have been forced to install Outlook to make sure I don’t miss messages and can frequently update its insane filtering policies. And to parse my old, pre MS IMAP account, I’ve installed the open source Thunderbird account with a paid extension called Owl (that works the best, but doesn’t have the nice interconnects to other OS-X apps). So I run 3 mail programs! Ridiculous! Please help!

Nov 28, 2022 1:03 PM in response to Craig Mclaughlin

after months of trial and error I have arrived at the same conclusion with exchange email through the Mail app on my MacBook, and storing emails in folders in the mailbox rather than on my computer. However, what I do in mac mail is not syncing back up to the exchange server or to my iPhone mail app. Have you been able to get your iphone mail to sync/mirror your Mac Mail for the exchange email address?

Nov 28, 2022 1:15 PM in response to jacinta107

Not sure I understand your question. Let me see if this explanation of what I'm doing clarifies your question.

I have two email accounts. One is an Exchange account and one is an iCloud account. I use AppleMail on my iMac and Apple's Mail app on my iPhone for both of these accounts. The iCloud email functions normally and does not require anything special. The Exchange account on the other hand, requires a little "fix" in order to get it to sync between the iMac and my iPhone.

Instead of keeping/filing emails in folders on my local iMac, I've created client folders on the Exchange server and move messages to these folders. Those client folders appear/sync on my iMac, iPhone, and when accessing via a web browser.

I've been using this system for a month now and have had no syncing errors or difficulties. The Exchange account maintains proper sync with both devices. My theory is that there's a glitch when attempting to file emails locally rather than remotely and this is what is causing the sync problems I was experiencing.

Hope that helps. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Nov 28, 2022 1:43 PM in response to Craig Mclaughlin

Thanks for your reply! So I have virtually the same set up. I use Apple Mail on my iPhone and my MacBook. I have an exchange email address and a google email address. The google email is set up as an IMAP on both devices and syncs perfectly so no issues.

The exchange email address is set up on my MacBook in Apple Mail as an exchange account. I have created sub folders in this mailbox same as you and store emails there. This works well. However, this account doesn’t sync on my iPhone. Or when I look at the mailbox through my browser on outlook.com. So for some reason what I do on my MacBook is not communicating outwards to either my phone or the MS exchange server. Any ideas welcome!

Thank you.

Using MS Exchange 365 with the Apple Mail App iPhone 14 Pro APPLE PLEASE FIX THE SOFTWARE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.