Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AOL app password GENERATOR no longer working - 10-9-2022 and earlier

I know I'm not alone here based on previous Community Q & A. As others have discovered the use of an AOL App password (designed for "better security") is NO LONGER WORKING AS OF Oct 9, 2022. Various AOL accounts (which include the original @verizon.net email dumped by Verizon a few years ago) will fail to obtain an "App Password" - needed typically when setting up or resetting up an AOL account that has been placed under this security requirement. As of 10-9-2022 the AOL technicians I've spoken to (I'm using the word "technician" very loosely here) ARE NOW admitting that it is a known problem that they "are working on". Foolishly I asked for an ETA on the password FIX and was told "just keep checking back every once in a while!" From what I see when I Google the problem or look at the Apple Community - the "FIX" is already a few months in the works. Advice? Perhaps go to your AOL account and ATTEMPT to turn off "App-Specific passwords to be entered instead of your normal password". Rest in Next.

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Oct 9, 2022 11:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2022 5:57 AM

After 1 month of torture, the AOL App Generator stared working yesterday. I'm signed up for a Microsoft Community that was following this problem. A guy said his started working so I jumped on AOL and a miracle happened, it worked.

We out here in the cold can only speculate as to why this is happening. I spoke to a Microsoft help center person last night. He's been dealing with this issue for months as you can well imagine. He said that Microsoft Developers were in talks with Apollo as this was fast becoming a big issue for the support desk. He said they started working, hit and miss, about a week ago. So we'll see if this fix stays. I rather doubt it. I'm thinking of ways to protect my app passwords and might generate a few more (and print them out) to use on future PCs.

Bottom line, each day check your AOL or Yahoo account and see if the app password generator is working. One day, you might find, it does.

Similar questions

90 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2022 5:57 AM in response to MAREDIC

After 1 month of torture, the AOL App Generator stared working yesterday. I'm signed up for a Microsoft Community that was following this problem. A guy said his started working so I jumped on AOL and a miracle happened, it worked.

We out here in the cold can only speculate as to why this is happening. I spoke to a Microsoft help center person last night. He's been dealing with this issue for months as you can well imagine. He said that Microsoft Developers were in talks with Apollo as this was fast becoming a big issue for the support desk. He said they started working, hit and miss, about a week ago. So we'll see if this fix stays. I rather doubt it. I'm thinking of ways to protect my app passwords and might generate a few more (and print them out) to use on future PCs.

Bottom line, each day check your AOL or Yahoo account and see if the app password generator is working. One day, you might find, it does.

Nov 27, 2022 3:20 PM in response to stevecfalls

Hi Steve - regarding your question - "I don't see a place for general settings to set up forwarding" of AOL mail. Here are the steps which might be a reasonable work-around for some users who would be satisfied with forwarding their AOL email account to another account - in my case, to an account in Outlook

1. GoTo the AOL WEB page and log in as usual for the AOL account you wish to forward
  2. Once signed in with your mail showing, click in the UPPER RIGHT (just under your signed in account name) and find OPTIONS - click on OPTIONS and select MAIL SETTINGS from drop-down list to see GENERAL SETTINGS
  3. Under General Settings, find FORWARD TO: and enter your appropriate e-mail forwarding account and click on the VERIFY box - should hopefully work
  4. IMPORTANT - be sure to scroll to bottom of page and click on SAVE SETTINGS
  5. NOTE: If you have another AOL email address that you wish to forward, then repeat the procedure from step 1 above for the next account to be forwarded

Wishing you luck considering AOL's stellar reputation.... MH

Oct 11, 2022 4:37 PM in response to MH-NY

Here's what I think. Apollo Global Management purchased Yahoo and AOL (Verizon) Sept 2021. By May 2022 people started complaining that they couldn't generate AOL app passwords. It is my guess that Apollo wants to make a profit from their email users by pushing users to their web server (in other words, make you go to Yahoo or AOL) to access email. That way, you'll have to look at the ads. And that way, they make money. Otherwise, there is no profit in maintaining the Yahoo/Verizon emails.

Here's a write up from the ATT / Yahoo perspective. https://tinyurl.com/yc5p55a7 Same thing happened to Yahoo users. Now it's us Verizon users who not get emails forwarded to their ISP provider (and thus into Outlook or Thunderbird).

It is just so very painful so have to change your email after 25 years. Mine was clean and simply.

J

Nov 2, 2022 4:00 AM in response to MH-NY

I have had the same response and cannot access my main AOL account unless from the APP or browser neither of which are user friendly when trying to use with other integrated apps.

I find it unbelievable that they introduce a "security change" without testing the affect it will have on other programs. We already have 2 step verification as well as the app password generation which worked fine until this change and i agree with the comments made above that their response was no ETA for a fix and no advice on a workaround.

Nov 2, 2022 7:39 AM in response to Jenicol

Likewise, it started working for me last night also. I guess somebody decided to carve out some issue-fixing time and money over the weekend.

First world problem but it's going to take me a while rediscovering trust over this issue which is disappointing. It pooched an email address I've been using since the mid-90s. Most of the senders using it have been redirected over the past month to another address where they still seem to have a grasp of what's critical and what's trivial.

Nov 2, 2022 8:05 AM in response to MAREDIC

Thanks for the info - based on your success in finding a window yesterday 11/1/2022 I immediately tried but unfortunately received the same message as before that it wasn't working! I share the pessimism. I continue to believe it's an attempt to drive AOL email users to their WEB version where advertisements and fees can be extracted. (People like myself are included in this password fiasco who were ported over to AOL from Verizon.net when Verizon dumped the email component from their services).

Rest in next.

Nov 2, 2022 8:06 AM in response to Jenicol

Thanks for the info - based on your success in finding a window yesterday 11/1/2022 I immediately tried but unfortunately received the same message as before that it wasn't working! I share the pessimism. I continue to believe it's an attempt to drive AOL email users to their WEB version where advertisements and fees can be extracted. (People like myself are included in this password fiasco who were ported over to AOL from Verizon.net when Verizon dumped the email component from their services).

Rest in next.

Nov 2, 2022 9:59 AM in response to MAREDIC

Agree 100%. The "Helpful" button is greyed out here but that observation is definitely helpful.

Keeping the scream going through Twitter might help, while tagging @aolmail & @aolsupporthelp. To be fair, they'll just tell you to DM them where they'll then probably ask you for money so they can tell you pretty much what we've covered here and that there's no ETA for the fix.

Nov 2, 2022 10:18 AM in response to MH-NY

(I'm jenicol who was lucky enough to get an AOL app password generated last night after a month of frustration). I thought I'd try it again this AM on a different PC and it is generating app passwords too. I am not a tech wizard, but this leads me to believe that the ability to generate is tied to them "releasing" your email address somehow. FWIW, I was using Chrome. Didn't clear any cookies / browser.

AOL app password GENERATOR no longer working - 10-9-2022 and earlier

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.