Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2015 iMac as display for 2021 MacBook Pro

I'm wanting to use my (late) 2015 iMac as a display for my 2021 MacBook Pro.

I've tried looking into Target Display Mode, however I'm pretty sure it's not supported on either (they're both running Monterey, the iMac 12.3.1 and the MacBook 12.2.1).

Is there any other way (e.g., with a cable) that I can use the iMac as a monitor, or as an extension of my MacBook display, or is this not an option at all?

Been researching it for months and responses are mixed and a little confusing. Any help is appreciated :)

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Oct 10, 2022 3:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2022 4:14 AM

No because no new Mac's including the 2021 MacBook Pro support Target Display Mode.

carefully study > Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

• The iMac used as a display must have macOS High Sierra or earlier installed.
  • The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2022 4:14 AM in response to alix200

No because no new Mac's including the 2021 MacBook Pro support Target Display Mode.

carefully study > Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

• The iMac used as a display must have macOS High Sierra or earlier installed.
  • The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.

2015 iMac as display for 2021 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.