My iPhone 13 Pro does not turn on

My iPhone 13 Pro does not turn on? When I woke up at the morning it was dead, and I left it charging overnight.

Posted on Oct 11, 2022 3:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2022 10:00 AM

Howdy Rodsil,

It sounds like your iPhone won’t power on. We know how important having a working iPhone is for you, and you’re in the right place to find a resolution.

The first thing to try is the steps listed here. These steps can often resolve this type of issue:

If your screen is black or frozen
1. Press and quickly release the volume up button.
2. Press and quickly release the volume down button.
3. Press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo.
An animation of an iPhone with arrows pointing to the volume up button, then to the volume down button, and then to the side button.
4. If your phone doesn't turn on, follow these steps to check your hardware and charge your phone. You might need to charge for up to an hour.
5. If your phone still doesn't turn on, contact Apple Support.

This info is located in this support article: If your iPhone won't turn on or is frozen - Apple Support

Take Care!

32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2022 10:00 AM in response to Rodsil

Howdy Rodsil,

It sounds like your iPhone won’t power on. We know how important having a working iPhone is for you, and you’re in the right place to find a resolution.

The first thing to try is the steps listed here. These steps can often resolve this type of issue:

If your screen is black or frozen
1. Press and quickly release the volume up button.
2. Press and quickly release the volume down button.
3. Press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo.
An animation of an iPhone with arrows pointing to the volume up button, then to the volume down button, and then to the side button.
4. If your phone doesn't turn on, follow these steps to check your hardware and charge your phone. You might need to charge for up to an hour.
5. If your phone still doesn't turn on, contact Apple Support.

This info is located in this support article: If your iPhone won't turn on or is frozen - Apple Support

Take Care!

Oct 16, 2022 9:19 AM in response to Mike_P1

Howdy Mike! It worked for me! Whew! Didn't want to have to call Verizon or make appt at Apple store.

But can you tell me some PROBABLE CAUSES? My situation was exactly the same as Rodsil's. Charged overnight in same location and same cord daily. This morning it got testy and wouldn't turn on. Ugh! After trying your "fix", my phone turned on again, it was at 80%. So it wasn't low on battery. I guess it went out around 80%, bc when I plugged it in, it was around 56%.

Dec 4, 2022 9:27 PM in response to Rodsil

Well, now I see I am not the only one with this problem. I just woke up an hour ago and the screen on my Iphone 13 Pro max was black and unresponsive. Let it charging overnight as usual and it worked perfectly before I went to sleep. I tried the fix several times, got to press the power button veeeeery long time and finally it worked. It was not the battery because I had 80%. I am glad this worked because otherwise I would have had to start the process to send the phone to repair, which is a nightmare. Wonder if it was a bug in the last iOs update?...Oh well, that it is for Apple to find out.

Thanks to you all who took the time to report this and thanks to Mike_P1 for the tip of the fix.

Nov 7, 2022 12:05 AM in response to philteeth

This exact same thing has just happened to me - thought it may have been a fluke or a software bug with iOS 16 but my case was identical. Left the phone charging overnight, woke up in the morning and there were no signs of life until I tried the soft reset but I had to hold the power button for much longer than if I was doing a standard reset.

The phone is an iPhone 13 (not a Pro variant) and it had also charged to no more than 80%.

Dec 11, 2022 6:52 AM in response to Rodsil

I've just had the same experience. Was on my Nomad magsafe charger all night. No signs of life in the AM. Keep in mind, up volume first, then down volume, and then as much as 12-15 seconds on the power button for it to turn on. Mine came back with 70% charge. What a weird burp, I was sure I had a trip to the genius bar in my future. Thanks for posting the notes above.

Apr 6, 2023 8:57 AM in response to Rodsil

Woke up this morning to this issue as well. I've done this reset probably 5 times before it worked. I also had it on the charger for 3 hours while working on this issue and talking to Verizon. They had me try this and it didn't work when I was on the phone with them. When my phone finally did turn back on it was at 90% battery life and showed it was charging since it was still connected when I got it to come back on. I'm glad I read on here that several people had to try it several times before it worked. Verizon is overnighting me a replacement phone tomorrow because this didn't work while I was on the phone with them, guess I can just send that one back tomorrow. Thank you!

Nov 28, 2022 5:21 AM in response to Rodsil

Wow, just woke up to same problem, thankfully found this thread, tried the reset a few times and no luck, but left on charge and finally it woke up after 2 hours charging and repeated resets. I did hold the on button for quite awhile till the logo appeared, maybe 10 seconds or so. Glad this thread was out there!

My iPhone 13 Pro does not turn on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.