Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to factory reset my iPhone without creating an iCloud backup?

I want as clean of a factory reset as possible and I don’t have anything on my phone that I want or need to carry over to the factory reset.

Looking at tutorials though, it seems like creating an iCloud backup is a necessary part of the factory reset process? Can somebody explain this to me in simple terms?

Thanks.

Posted on Oct 12, 2022 4:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2022 4:29 AM

If you do not need any data to be recovered after restoring your device to factory settings, there's no need to create a backup.

These are the instructions:--> Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

Regards

Giulio

4 replies

Oct 12, 2022 5:00 AM in response to ProustGiulio

I have had iCloud backup enabled since getting my device, should I delete the data that it has already backed up before resetting the phone?

The tutorial video that I watched showed the backup being created during the factory reset, but it didn’t show an option to not create the backup.

Will disabling iCloud backup in my phone settings ensure that no data will be backed up during the reset?

Oct 12, 2022 5:20 AM in response to ProustGiulio

Okay, good to know.

Would you recommend deleting the data that has already been backed up to the iCloud and then disabling the iCloud backup setting before performing the reset?

Is it possible to factory reset my iPhone without creating an iCloud backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.